Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Board changed for 2023 - Final Move
16 November 2023, 17:54,
Board changed for 2023 - Final Move
Well it has taken some time but I have now migrated Survival UK from GoDaddy to iPage. The site is now migrated and free from GoDaddy

To be honest it wasn't top priority because at work I had been moved internally to look after CyberRecovery and that took a lot of time and as my GoDaddy account doesn't expire until Jan 2024 it wasn't urgent so I put it to one side. I've been off for the last week so decided to bite the bullet and migrate the sites so I don't have to renew.

The forum migration was a major problem. It all boiled down to getting the data from GoDaddy. On hosting services you don't have the same access as you would on a home server and the control panel they supply wouldn't allow me to download the posts as there were so many of them. This was the issue that stopped me last time. Their help desk was filled with good people but like all companies the processes they work under means they are pretty much useless for cases like mine. I could download 30% of the Table before it stopped. They could download 100% but were not allowed to let me have that file for, err..., reasons. They helpfully gave me the same instructions as before which was of no help.

As it is getting near the end of the contract I needed to migrate the data and so couldn't just let it go this time and I spent a bit of time on it. It was easy enough in the end as I just extracted 25% of the posts table at a time till I had all of it. Job done.

Then I had to point everyone to the new ISP and that was done last night where I hit another minor issue that I didn't detect until later today. Different SQL servers between the two and the new ISP was unable to load. Changed the pointers in the config and it worked fine.

Anyway, the forum has been migrated now so it should be all up and running. Let me know if you have any issues

I've also posted a note on the main site about what is going on with the sites in general but the forum is here for as long as you want to use it. I'll comment every now and again and I'll continue adding to the Files Area for downloading but I won't be posting anything new on the Main site.

I'm still contactable if you want me for anything.

Good luck to you all.

Skean Dhude