Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Taking in new members post shtf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
First let me set the scene, I was watching the walking dead tv series on tv the other night which actually started an interesting conversation with me n the missus, as in another of my posts I haven't yet fully discussed prepping with her but the programme managed to plant a little seed, now my television all viewing habits aren't open to discussion Big Grin but in this episode the 'hero' is trying to decide wether or not to let in new members to his tight knit group, and we were discussing the pros and cons of doing so, my thought was no, limited supplies etc, but she was thinking that it may depend if they have any skills that may be of use to the group, what do you guys think ? I get the feeling we are all prepping for our families to survive but would we be better in teams ? Combine supplies, more hands make light work etc ?
Depends on what situation your group finds its self in its hard to answer the question when you are not in that situation maybe you will not want new members but find that you need them !
Bridges can only be crossed when you arrive at them.

It's easy to say, your preps are only for you and your family. But what if the new person is a Doctor ?

On the other hand the new person could be a local scrote. If you let him move on he may tell others your location, if he stays from past experience he'll be trouble.

Hard decisions to make.

WaylanderCool
I recently read a book called One Second After. It's about an EMP going off. I liked their take on it all. Have certain skills that could be useful to the group and consider adding them. The problem comes in if they have a family with them. That's a lot more mouths to feed.
It would be depending on there's skill set. And I know you judge a book by its cover but it depends on how they are on face value you don't want to take in a tracksuit wearing scally!
weather you like it or not sooner or later you will have to let people join your group, you can not do everything but you can use common sence ie a chap with homemade prison tattoos ,or scars on their nuckles might make you think twice .
There are currently 3 people i'm prepping for but my partner has 3 brothers and elderly parents so my potential group expanded will be approx 12 people...not really looking for anymore as i already think i'm oversubscribed Sad
i adhere to the prepper motto:" if you don't know them, haven't worked with them, or spent time with them....then don't trust them!" so unless its someone i know, a complete stranger, then the answer is NO.
I'd make them roll a dice. If they roll higher than me, execution! I'm not having my power usurped!!! haha

It is very much a situation dependent on who, what, where, why, and how well stocked you are.
wouldn't consider new members so soon after an event

but if we survive and end up with land to be worked and it is producing a good amount of food and life is getting less dangerous then I'd consider it if the new people are working to ensure we all eat and /or bring in skills that we currently don't have and need

but we'd be very careful on who we would consider
Pages: 1 2 3 4