Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(7 April 2014, 15:20)Danzord Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, camping and bushcraft skills make up a part of prepping and survivalism, only a part but all skills that are going to be usefull are if combined with others to allow you to survive. If you dont choose to include certain skills in your preps, doesnt mean it isn't a bigger part of someone elses. We all prepare in different ways that work for us which means to some these skills are an important part of prepping.

Spot on mate.

For people with limited finances, learning wilderness survival skills does add a hell of a lot. If a person is unable to buy a bow, well they could always make a bow...Wilderness survival skills style! The same with arrows. The cost to start learning the skills is minimal. So as a safety buffer against lack of financial power, bushcraft is a good step in the right direction.

But a journey of 100 miles does not end with the first step. There are many more to take, but this one step is a start.
SOME people give the impression that they believe that camping and bushcraft is all they need to survive post SHTF and that includes with a wife and child(or children) in tow also, prepping and survivalism is about more than that, its about growing food, breeding animals, repairing house and fences, and transport, and security and a million other things.
(7 April 2014, 15:30)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]SOME people give the impression that they believe that camping and bushcraft is all they need to survive post SHTF and that includes with a wife and child(or children) in tow also

A dig at me?

If so, you're wrong.
(7 April 2014, 15:42)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(7 April 2014, 15:30)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]SOME people give the impression that they believe that camping and bushcraft is all they need to survive post SHTF and that includes with a wife and child(or children) in tow also

A dig at me?

If so, you're wrong.

it was a general remark but if the shoe fits? a prepper you aren't and you have admitted as much.

you like camping and you like buying and selling, nothing wrong with that.
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism?

I see it as just that, 'part' of prepping and survivalism. I hope I haven't given the impression that it's the most important part. I just think knowledge and skill in bushcraft is worth having and whilst we don't actually need it to survive just yet, it's fun to do and teach to my kids and far better than sitting around watching telly or any other mind-numbing practices.
(7 April 2014, 15:44)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]a prepper you aren't and you have admitted as much.

What the fuck would you know about me and what I do BP?
I don't remember "admitting" to anything? If you're gonna make shit up at least make it interesting...

But I mustn't disagree with some stupid old codger...

I'm done with you and your low IQ, half-retarded ways. Idiot.

Good luck if THSTF... Hopefully you'll have someone to look after you and maybe you'll survive a week or so... if you're lucky... But I doubt it.
Glad you agree with me and BM on this on then, BP.

I'm just concerned that by people taking the "Bushcraft and Wilderness Survival skills is not prepping" view, it might make people assume that they're wasting their time learning the skills provided by Bushcraft/Survival skills.
"Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism?"

[...quick fast forward to avoid the usual bantering... Dodgy]

IMHO, the simple answer is yes.
(7 April 2014, 15:48)Razoromero Wrote: [ -> ]RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism?

I see it as just that, 'part' of prepping and survivalism. I hope I haven't given the impression that it's the most important part. I just think knowledge and skill in bushcraft is worth having and whilst we don't actually need it to survive just yet, it's fun to do and teach to my kids and far better than sitting around watching telly or any other mind-numbing practices.

That's spot on right mate.

This is basically where an opinion has been read into, then misread, and blown out of proportion. Like when Tibbs said he wanted to step back from prepping to get a better view of what he had left to do, and everyone jumped thinking he was leaving prepping for good and was never coming back, and selling all his gear or throwing it all away. Truth was he was just taking a step back to better assess his situation.

The same has happened here. You have spoken about bushcraft, and everyone has jumped saying it's nothing to do with prepping, when it turns out....it very clearly is!

Don't worry mate, by learning skills, it's another string to your bow (pardon the pun). You're doing the right thing and taking steps in the right direction.

As Nix, NR, BP, BM, and the might S13 (myself) all have agreed...yes, it's a part of prepping, but not the be all and end all.

(7 April 2014, 15:57)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(7 April 2014, 15:44)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]a prepper you aren't and you have admitted as much.

What the fuck would you know about me and what I do BP?
I don't remember "admitting" to anything? If you're gonna make shit up at least make it interesting...

But I mustn't disagree with some stupid old codger...

I'm done with you and your low IQ, half-retarded ways. Idiot.

Good luck if THSTF... Hopefully you'll have someone to look after you and maybe you'll survive a week or so... if you're lucky... But I doubt it.

I think what BM means is, "We will have to agree to disagree on this issue."
oh well, it appears some people have got selective memories but that's ok Big Grin and I think you misunderstood me MB, your particular skill seems to be in buying and selling, post SHTF some people will need a TRADER to go from settlement to settlement selling/trading them things they need and I see you doing that, seems a natural role for you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9