Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(8 April 2014, 15:04)SlyUrbanFox Wrote: [ -> ]In all seriousness, is there a case to be made for joining the mob? Keeping your friends close and your enemies closer? Organised groups (or gangs or the mob) will prosper at everyone elses expense. They don't need to know you're a prepper. If you can't be the shepherd, is it better to be the wolf rather than the sheep? Food for thought.........? I'm sure you'll all have your opinions!

They will still turn on their own without warning - so stay well clear.
If it's a riot or something like that, it would make more sense to be 'recognised' as a mob member, then use that to slip away at your first opportunity.
if you aren't already a mob member then you will be their prey, the best place to be is where the mob isn't.
I see this has gone off track a bit as usual but here is my 2ps worth.

Camping and Bushcraft IS a part of prepping and survivalism. Just like bugging out, some people will use it and some won't but we should all understand what we can and practise it where we can. Especially if you think it may be used.
(8 April 2014, 15:29)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]if you aren't already a mob member then you will be their prey, the best place to be is where the mob isn't.

Not always possible though.
if its a riot you should be able to hear it from a long distance away and go in the opposite direction, failing that there always in cities so stay out of cities like what I do!Big Grin
I would go as far to say pretty essential skills to survival after the sky falls in. Stores will only last so long, and will need replenishing. Having the skills to recognise edible and medicinal plants, track animals both 4 and 2 legged varieties, having the knowhow to use whatever is at hand to make useful items is pretty much how ancient man lived his daily life. If he hadn’t survived, we wouldn’t be here now.
Knowing the best place to situate a camp, leaving no trace and knowing your packing limits now can only be an advantage later. So, yes, bushcraft and camping skills are a big part of prepping.
Words fail me!.......

How can anyone say that camping and bushcraft are not a "part of" prepping and survivalism? "a part of" again ---> "a part of" was this bit of the original question overlooked. I can only think it was. No one can be that narrow minded or self righteous to discount those valuable skills from being one small "part of" prepping and survivalism. There is more to prepping and survivalism than being prepared to bug out to a BOL or being prepared to get home after a SHTF situation. these two options may be no option at all in a real crisis. jeez, I'm surprised at some folk.
I think the point is that Camping and Bushcraft ARE a part of the Survivalism and Prepping culture BUT they are only individual facets or skills from a list as long as my arm.

The problem is (if their is a problem) is people confuse Bushcraft and Survivalism FOR Prepping and Survivalism and often only focus on those two sections. IE they think Bushcraft is Survivalism not simply a part of it.

Camping and Bushcraft are no more or less important parts than First Aid Training, Vehicle Mechanics, Skill at Arms, Radio mtce and operation, Food preservation, Animal Husbandry, Carpentry, Planning, Building and running off grid power systems, etc etc

And as one member so superbly pointed out yesterday, many preppers live in large towns and cities who go out to the woods or moors to practice wilderness bushcraft, but completely ignore the far more relevant (to them being city slickers) URBAN survival skills.
Ok, I know I'm a bit late to this one Smile

"NR IS right, camping and bushcraft have nothing to do with prepping and survivalism. "

I think this is the original comment by BP that started the discussion (my bold). For me it is wrong on many levels.

To me Prepping and Survivalism are all about increasing the options I have available. Anything that increases my survival chances works for me. Having the ability to survive in your surroundings (whether in the wilds or in an urban environment) without access to any kit or stores can surely only be a good thing.

I often read about peoples BOL this and GHB that, but sods law dictates that our stores, kit, and well laid plans may all go to crap at just the wrong time. Having the ability to do the basics like find and filter water, create a fire, find or build a shelter, must surely be useful skills to have

I agree that these skills are only a part of prepping and survival but I would suggest they are a fundamental part, the basic core ability to survive in your environment (even if only for a limited period) without access to your kit or supplies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9