Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
3 May 2015, 19:49,
RE: FOOD FOR THOUGHT
That was very very enlightening MB ...it might well be a way forward ....great post !
3 May 2015, 21:45,
I visit this forum a lot. In fact, it's the only "prepper" forum I belong to. There is a good reason for this, the forum has a small number of members who think about what they post and remain firmly rooted in the "possible".

It's down to earth, and that suits me.

I miss NR though, we'll never agree on politics but his research is second to none and it takes a generous spirit to compile all that information and put it in one place for us.
3 May 2015, 22:40,
Yes you are right to point it out Steve, and I totally agree...don,t know what you got till its gone...hence my frustration and rants of late...S13 went more than the extra mile and others to to cover the shortfall BP did...but its not easy to keep on with endless thread ideas...in fact its very hard to do, the result is anything rather than nothing will do and quality go,s down interest is lost to the point of no participation of most members ...newbies looking in would wonder what,s the point, MB has pointed out this most eloquently in the meantime members wander off to other forums...and like what they see , and just pop in here to see what,s changed if anything...my recent rants and attempts at humour was designed to pull in hits...even insults , but all that did was maybe "have a look on SUK" Straight shooter is loosing it...that,s fine by the way...at least a few old members showed up for the gig ...Dev got me first ..then my game was up....no Tuesday...no need, Here,s the rub....if we cover a subject well enough most get it learn and move to the next item and so on ...threads can be resurrected at least reply wise for newbies, its new to them...old for us ..but we must help them, take my life this last two years shit happens....and not just for me but for all...there are no boarders on that..but we are not aware..why should we be? if we don,t know, these are not excuses this is just normal things in life...better quality threads or i should say do the best to the ability you have...does not have to be works of art...mine will not.
3 May 2015, 23:32,
I'm on a couple of other forums but don't really participate in them as I tend to find them more of a preppers version of the Martin Lewis Money Saving website than a prepping or survival website. In my opinion SUK is pretty unique and long may it continue. I'd also welcome NR and S13 back with open arms and miss their input on the forums.

But thinking about what SS is trying to achieve, how about, as an idea, especially to possibly encourage newbies, a specific thread or collections of threads similar to the 'What have you done today towards your preps' thread, where newbies can ask silly questions, maybe an 'Ask the Group?' thread. But the forums rules should be that only helpful replies are given and anyone who take the p###, is sarcastic or critical in anyway will see their posts immediately deleted by the mods, no matter how silly any of the questions could be.... So it's basically somewhere we encourage newbies to participate and get welcomed into the forum without fear of ridicule??
5 May 2015, 13:41,
I can see the logic Dev , far better than mine, what say YOU
5 May 2015, 16:05,
(5 May 2015, 13:41)Straight Shooter Wrote: I can see the logic Dev , far better than mine, what say YOU

Just a refinement of your original suggestion Wink
5 May 2015, 17:43, (This post was last modified: 5 May 2015, 18:15 by Mortblanc.)
The way to get new people to post queries without fear of ridicule is to stop ridiculing posts.

This group has the tendency to tear each other to shreds at every opportunity, with blatant insults and extreme cruelty, whenever their opinions are questioned.

Telling someone they have gone off their gourd after a joke post is one thing, telling them to hit the road, and drop by he!! on the way, if they do not agree with the date you choose to plant beans is another situation.

And I have no desire to go back to finding a "new thread" only to discover a list of links a page long, detailed opinions on subjects the OP does not know a thing about, or a series of mutual admiration posts reading "You're great/no you're great/no you're the greatest/no you're the greatest/well you're a genius/well yes I am thank you.....

What does it take to maintain interest?

Some imagination and tolerance helps.

Here is a link to one of the most famous threads in the survival world.

342 pages, 6,800+ posts.

Welcome to "please delete".

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=80185

You might wish to look at the member/user numbers at the bottom of that forum page, and the contents.

One of the jokes we had about that forum was that we kept the 2012 apocalypse thread going until well into 2014!