Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
understanding light
5 April 2013, 11:26,
RE: understanding light
Particle physics and the way particles behave is fundamental to understanding the world around us, and that world is not always as we think it is. The section about colour was correct when mentioning that colour is a product of an object reflecting and absorbing different light waves, but colour is not universally the same to all species!
For example a Daffodil may appear to us as Yellow, as our Primate eyes have evolved to see the light spectrum that is most suited to our way of life, but to an insect the Daffodil is not Yellow it is shining like a beacon in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum, so is the Daffodil really Yellow?, the insects would say no. The way we see the world is unique to humans, as the dominant species we believe our representation to be true, but the fact is the vast majority of the species on Earth see the world in a very different way.

Q. You are travelling at the speed of light in a car, in the dark, and you turn your headlights on, will they workBig Grin
5 April 2013, 11:55,
hmmm good question!

in theory, light is emitted at the speed of light, because the source is already travelling at the speed of light, would the light even leave the bulb? or would it exit at the speed of light x2?

scientists believe nothing is faster than the speed of light? but only a few hundred years ago they thought the world was flat!

good question but not as good as the buttered cat paradox!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
5 April 2013, 12:30,
There are a lot of scientists who now believe the light speed barrier can be broken, due to problems with theory of relativity.

The answer to the car question is headmeltingBig Grin

if it is you that is moving at the speed of light then your headlights will not work.
but if it is the Universe moving while you stay stationary then they will work. Light travel sorted lol
5 April 2013, 12:40,
good to see a healthy discussion on a subject most people ignore.
bit more in depth than the average preper requires.
most only need to know why their plants aint doing too well. or why they cant force them to fruit out of season etc.

I believe the light speed barrier can be broken and has.
some particles do actually escape black holes therefore they are technically already breaking it.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
5 April 2013, 12:41,
(5 April 2013, 12:40)Luci_ferson Wrote: some particles do actually escape black holes therefore they are technically already breaking it.

prove it Big GrinTongue
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
5 April 2013, 12:42, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2013, 12:44 by Luci_ferson.)
lol
one min il just go and get one out of my store cupboard .

im not a particle physicist. all though I got to admit its interesting.
far more than an average prepper would need to know though.
5 April 2013, 12:50, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2013, 12:54 by Tartar Horde.)
The gauntlet has been thrown SirBig Grin
faster than light particles escaping the event horizon of a black hole!!! what are you smokingBig Grin

Getting back to the discussionBlush
I have a street light just outside my fence that bathes my garden in an orange glow and yet the plants never seem to be affected by this and flower as normal, even though they don't get full darknes on the night cycle, strange eh.
5 April 2013, 13:09,
well a particle can only break the speed of light, IF it is "born" speeding faster than the speed of light!...these are known as tachyons!

well studies have shown that circadian rhythms (the natural cycles of your body) respond most strongly to blue light, so if you sleep at night with a blue light on in your room, your sleep patterns will get disrupted, our bodies have evolved to sync with the cycle of day and night, so blue light in the mornings will help you wake up!....so it wouldn't surprise me if plants also have this bias toward blue light, i think sunlight tends to be more blue in the morning due to the way that light scatters through our atmosphere Smile

haha now we're getting into relativity!
5 April 2013, 13:10, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2013, 13:10 by Luci_ferson.)
gauntlet thrown back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

all particle science is theoretical but there ya go

and what im smoking isn't good enough to have that effect lol
5 April 2013, 13:11, (This post was last modified: 5 April 2013, 13:12 by Hrusai.)
but tachyons are theoretical and haven't been observed, though the method through which you would observe them is reasonably simple, its known as Cherenkov radiation, where the universe doesn't like the fact your going too fast and as a result you "shed" energy in the form of photons Smile

darn you interupted my post lol

good ol' hawking radiation xD....here's an interesting result of the phenomena

http://gizmodo.com/5887271/the-20-millio...r-universe