Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new CB causes me a bit of work.
29 July 2012, 08:51, (This post was last modified: 29 July 2012, 08:55 by Paul.)
RE: A new CB causes me a bit of work.
(29 July 2012, 00:35)The Local Ned Wrote: Our 'breaking' channel was always 14 - 1-4 for a copy...

19 was for the truckers or for mobile to mobile chats.

9 was the emergency channel and never to be used apart from that.

The old a.m channels used to be so busy we had to 'flick the switch' sometimes ( hit the hi-lo channels selector switch 29 became 69 etc ).

Local calling channels do vary throughout the UK.
14 was always the home base channel then a quick QSY (ham speak for change of channel) kept the abuse away.
Regionally I found 12 in use on the SW coast, 11 in Bedfordshire, and a lovely little net call in 13 in South Lincs.
Bear in mind that was when CB was popular which thankfully it isn't now.

Why thankfully? Old time CB'ers will remember the degeneration of CB back in the 80's when every kid had one and it all got VERY silly.
It's still bad in some towns and cities but on the whole if you start to natter to someone, others will join in.

Ned, do you still run blocks?
I'm finding that I'm getting loads of fun with my new little rig thanks to the EU harmonising the CB frequencies. Get someone who knows their rig (foreign or not) and you can bounce all over the place, modes and channels.

Don't forget SSB CB is coming but the UK will drag it's heels (as always) so I'm not holding my breath.

(29 July 2012, 07:28)Lightspeed Wrote: I've just ordered one of these little multistandard rigs to put in the car. Its so small and light weight I'll make space in the manpack for it too.

£39 from Truck king, what excellent value?

It should arrive next week. I am looking forward to playing with it.

LS

If your new rig is anything like mine it's going to be fun.
Battery consumption on listening is tiny so batteries should last well.

That's important for for me as a prepper.
I've set up a simple solar panel to keep my car battery charged in the house for when the power goes off. Takes all day to recharge the battery as I do most of my talking during the evening but costs me nothing.

Messages In This Thread
A new CB causes me a bit of work. - by Paul - 28 July 2012, 23:47
RE: A new CB causes me a bit of work. - by Paul - 29 July 2012, 08:51
RE: A new CB causes me a bit of work. - by Paul - 29 July 2012, 15:40