Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow
16 October 2012, 14:01,
RE: Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow
Cos I include a bow in my GHB / Home sec/ Opsec plans I choose a basic no frills compound because they are so small and easy to hold at full draw, and their arrows fly much faster than recurve arrows. plus I can buy three for the price of one good recurve Smile
According to the famous HUNTERS FRIEND website even a decent basic 25 lb draw compound will be big enough for small and medium sized deer. Many good basic YOUTH bows are adjustable from 10 to 20 lb, or 20 to 30 lb or in some cases 25 lb to 40 lb draw weights.
They are also wondefully compact so I can fire them from inside my vehicles and I can manouvre comfortably around my house with one with an arow in place.

I have a troublesome three piece takedown recurve for hunting if necc but they are to long for any other use, If I wanted a good recurve I would go with the other waise words already written here and get a decent yank flatbow.

The pistol and carbine crossbows we now have are solely for home security / vermin control/ fun anything over about 30ft and they are not suitable.

I concur compounds are fiddlier than recurves but I consider recurves to be the Brown Bess muskets of archery and BASIC compounds to be the 303 enfield.

Proper maintence, care and cleaning and plenty of sensible practice should reduce the techical limitations of compounds.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow - by NorthernRaider - 16 October 2012, 14:01