Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow
16 October 2012, 21:20,
RE: Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow
I am an archer and a prepper NR, and I don't agree with your logic but I respect it. There is nothing you can do with a small compound that I can't do with my traditional Mongol bow, when strung it is only 53 inches and it is designed to be small and pointable. I can't see the point of having 90% of your weapon hidden it just makes it harder to get to when you need it, if everything has gone to SHTF why do you need to hide it?
I use mine in woodland all the time and have never had a problem at all. As a prepper I take the long view that if civilization goes tits up you need tools that will last a lifetime, my bow will be handed down to my son, I still maintain that after decades of living post SHTF that you will run out of parts for a compound due to wear and tear no matter how many you have. Breaking a bow is a very real possibility, but this is countered by buying the best style you can afford, this is why BMW cars are better than Fiats because they are built better to last, but shit can happen that's why I have a number of bows.
The bottom line for me is that traditional bows are way more reliable than compounds due to the fact that there is little that can go wrong with them, I don't need to take a tool kit to fix my bow in the field, just a spare string which I can change in seconds. Try changing a compound bow string in the field and you will see what I mean. If you are hunting and a compound string breaks that's it your hunting is over. If you have to rely on a compound bow for defence and the same thing happens, I can't see your attackers politely waiting till you set up your bow press etc to fix it, reliability is safety
Whatever bows we all use the golden rule is practise practise practise
vive la difference brothers

Messages In This Thread
RE: Choosing between a compound, recurve or crossbow - by Tartar Horde - 16 October 2012, 21:20