Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where to start
27 November 2012, 20:58,
RE: Where to start
How many in your family or group
Five humans, 3 dogs, 5 cats, 2 geese, 9 chickens and a psychopathic parrot I'd happily eat if I could be bothered to pluck it

<Bugging in then I guess, Need bulk corn / grain, dry food for critters>

How much food do you have
Enough for at least a month or more, but much meat in freezer which would have to be salted/dried if power out.

<No where near enough, need to GRADUALLY build up to at least 6 months> waits for arguments from tothers
<Learn how to make jerky, learn how to dehydrate, learn how to pickle n jar>

How much more do you GRADUALLY need to get.
MOre tins/dried food and certainly more water

<DISAGREE you appear to have plenty of water around your home, you need a GRAVITY FILTER>
<Consider dried foods like Pasta, Flour, Grain ( wheat) plus a grain mill, bulk rice from Makro or tesco in 5 KG tubs>

Have you got a decent gravity fed water filter. Clean water is the difference tween life and dysentry.
No, water is an issue. We have a small lake filled by field drain and field run off but clearly would need sterilising, but we are in dip so water run off is only a problem when it floods (like now!)

<British berkfield plus spare candles will serve you for decades, or look in forum water section and see how to make your own>

Do you have independant heating, lighting and cooking facilities such as wood burning stoves, calour gas camping cooker, lots of 12 hour candles and LANTERNS ( no naked lights please) Light Sticks, piles of logs etc
2 wood burners and an oil fueled aga. The latter used to be solid fuel but when I had 3 kids under 3, four dogs etc. I threw a tantrum and we went oil...... Reasonable supply of candles but need more, no night sticks 4-5 months of logs. 4 solar/wind up batteries (and radio) plus solar panel to charge car battery. 3 rechargable (from car battery) torches

< Off to Hamsterly for you increase your logs to at least 6 months if you can, Can you possibly keep an eye open arounf the area for anyone getting rid of a spare heating oil tank and double up what you have, start blagging used cooking oil from local chiipes, cafes etc, filter it and add it to your heating oil.>

Do you have enough water storage facilities
Hmm no. Am building these up for potable water. Non-potable from lake

<see above>

Do you have a top notch first aid and dental kit
Not bad but needs replenishing. Husband is a doctor

< doctors tend to be pretty crap at first aid, uprate kit, make him give you a script for broad spectrum anti biotics, go to boots and get some emergency dental kits>

Do you have suitable clothes and tools
I have no idea. I thought we did, but now not so sure. Need to do inventory of both

<get back to me in time and lets go through it, OR read that lil ole booklet Smile >

Do your family know what to do if something goes wrong
Until this summer no. But then daughters all stuck in school in Newcastle and couldn't get home to us (where we were cut off) in the summer floods. They learned how important planning is, though still think I'm a bit OTT.

< if they attend school or summer camp like my brats they must know and understand to go to a safe prearranged location, near or at the school and stay their til you come for them, READ my scenario on schools in the scenario section>

Messages In This Thread
Where to start - by Ferret - 27 November 2012, 18:57
RE: Where to start - by Wildman - 27 November 2012, 19:26
RE: Where to start - by Scythe13 - 27 November 2012, 19:30
RE: Where to start - by Wildman - 27 November 2012, 19:38
RE: Where to start - by Ferret - 27 November 2012, 19:44
RE: Where to start - by Scythe13 - 27 November 2012, 19:49
RE: Where to start - by Wildman - 27 November 2012, 20:00
RE: Where to start - by Ferret - 27 November 2012, 20:07
RE: Where to start - by NorthernRaider - 27 November 2012, 20:09
RE: Where to start - by Scythe13 - 27 November 2012, 20:13
RE: Where to start - by Ferret - 27 November 2012, 20:36