Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
That feeling we have...
7 January 2013, 12:45,
RE: That feeling we have...
I don't think the human race has much of a survival instinct any more. I was watching The Walking Dead (I'm not a zombie-person. I had the series recommended to me by a guy I used to work with in Bristol, and it's addictive!) with my wife the other day, and she made a comment that really stuck me. She asked me "How many people do you think would have the will to wake up and do what they do every day?"

I'd say, very little.

It is a purely hypothetical situation, but one that opened a great questioning line.

An article I read a while ago said the human species was one of the only ones that didn't have a natural selection process. It wasn't survival along Darwinian systems, it was just survival. That instinct is mostly bred out of us. We no longer need to be vigilant of lions, tigers, wolves, bears, poisonous plants (okay, some idiots are still on the mushrooms and natural selection weeds them from the gene pool) and things like that. We're so diluted, genetically, that the survival gene must be so weak in all of us.

I think that most people wouldn't have the survival-DEMAND in them. Instinct and a demand to survive are different. The will to live is the demand. Many people simply curl up and protect themselves in bad situations, when they really need to take action.

The idea of the survival instinct is brilliant. But I feel that we as a species greatly lack that. The minority, of which we could be some, may still have that. As a whole, it's more a fear of death than a demand to survive.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
That feeling we have... - by Prepper1 - 7 January 2013, 11:17
RE: That feeling we have... - by Metroyeti - 7 January 2013, 11:27
RE: That feeling we have... - by Highlander - 7 January 2013, 12:05
RE: That feeling we have... - by Scythe13 - 7 January 2013, 12:45
RE: That feeling we have... - by bigpaul - 7 January 2013, 12:52
RE: That feeling we have... - by ObongoPox - 7 January 2013, 13:19
RE: That feeling we have... - by Highlander - 7 January 2013, 13:20
RE: That feeling we have... - by bigpaul - 7 January 2013, 14:14
RE: That feeling we have... - by Skean Dhude - 7 January 2013, 15:53