Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
survival:the ultimate form of resistance.
10 April 2013, 21:16, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2013, 21:22 by Highlander.)
RE: survival:the ultimate form of resistance.
(10 April 2013, 20:15)Mortblanc Wrote: As for the Scotts and the enclosures, the standard was not for anyone to "pay for passage". Most of those people sold themselves into indentured service to pay for passage.

They were auctioned off on the docks, like slaves, by the ship's captain to recoup his passage fee.

There were not enough poorhouses and workhouses to accomodate them and a whole new system was built around these mases of fodder for the industrial revolution.

Many were sold right out the workhouse doors as cheap labor for the colonies.

I would really like to know your source of knowledge about what you wrote here, because I have done family research for people in America and Australia with reference to their desendants from this part of Scotland and I have never heard or anything like this,... it is not how it happened here, so please can you pass on your references please

The only explaination that I can think you might have here is that you are talking about the Scottish Lowland cleances, these would be the only people who would be near a work house,... the Highland clearences were hundreds of miles from anything like that.... I know little about the Lowland clearences, but if you insist that you are right about the Highland clearences that I wrote about I would still like to see your evidence please
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
RE: survival:the ultimate form of resistance. - by Highlander - 10 April 2013, 21:16