Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Solar for worth getting for after the SHTF?
24 April 2013, 17:24,
RE: Free Solar for worth getting for after the SHTF?
(23 April 2013, 21:55)uks Wrote:
(23 April 2013, 21:30)Highlander Wrote:
(23 April 2013, 09:00)uks Wrote:
(23 April 2013, 08:04)Highlander Wrote: We have 16 panels on our roof,..[ although they are our own ], depending on how the panels are fitted, they can strengthen your roof considerably, we are prone to high winds so the rails have to be screwed into the roof rafters,.. then the panels protect the tiles to a greater extent..... We purchased the panels when the tariff was 43 pence a unit so we make a lot of money, I think the tariff is only about 16 pence now isn't it

With reference to repairing your roof if the panels are owned by someone else,.. by law you should still have access to whats yours, so either the owners of the panels have to remove them while you do your work, or you are allowed to remove them yourself

What I would like to know is how can a person disconnect the panels from the mains system if the grid fails, to allow me to connect either direct to the house or to batteries
Is there not an automatic cut off switch in case the national grid goes down?. This is to stop your current feeding back down the line to stop it frying the repair men.

Thats right it does,.... as soon as the main grid goes off so do my panels, so that I dont electrocute the guy fixing the mains problem,.. thats fine, I can live with that,... but I would really like to know what to do after the shtf in order to get my panels putting power in to batteries

Yes there is,..if you look on Ebay you will see many differently powered panels, all different sizes,..I have a 40w solar panel in a Faraday cage,... it would be enough to run a computer, or charge small items like radio batteries,.. yet it is only about 2ft square

It would be easy enough to fit one or more to a BOV,..which could then be taken indoors,..or even kept on your BOV and charge things inside using longer wires

That last paragraph was aimed at Spandex

Im pretty sure if a company put it in with the batteries, that if the grid went down it would still be charging the batteries.

That would be good, except that most companies dont fit them with the batteries, only to the mains grid,... which still leaves me wanting to know that if the shtf how do I disconnect the system as it stands now and start putting power into batteries,... I just cant see it being as simple as it first appears,...i.e. find the two largest cables from the panels, that go into the converter and take them to batteries,.. that simply sounds to simple.

What I/we could all do with is an electrician prepper,.. so if there is any out there, even if you dont post but just read,... I would appreciate a PM if you could help please
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free Solar for worth getting for after the SHTF? - by Highlander - 24 April 2013, 17:24