Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Make SHTF Shoes
1 July 2013, 23:02,
How to Make SHTF Shoes
This is a spin off thread from another question so that the material can be presented with only the needed information and the questions relevant to this particular topic.

I am going to keep this simple and divide the topic into tools, materials and instructions. The instructions will mostly be links to other sites where they have done the massive amount of typing and explaining already and I will make myself available for questions as things move along.

Tools;

For most simple primitive foot gear tools are simple and can be gathered in most homes or workshops.

1. You will need a pair of scissors, good sized ones. They do not have to be top grade. Throwaways from the dollar store of a set of Fiskars are plenty good enough.

2. You will need a sharp knife. A utility knife or a box cutter will do the job, even a straight edge razor blade. No half sharp serrated blades on a Micky Mouse multi-tool or some huge chopper from your survival gear, thank you. You need a usable good sharp small knife capable of detail work.

3. You will need an AWL. Not a fancy stitcher, or that thing on the back of your Swiss Army Knife. Just a good simple piercing tool made from a #6 finish nail stuck into a simple handle will do. In a pinch it can be any piece of slender good hard steel, even a good piece of fence wire will work. Take a file and sharpen a diamond point onto the tip. Diamond points work best for me anyway.

4. A small mallet or hammer. A stick of hard wood about the size of a hammer handle or such will also work.

5. A palm protector. A piece of leather or rubber will work. Anything that will protect you palm/fingers as you force awls and needles through the leather as you work.

6. A block of wood or a small piece of plank. This serves as a wooden anvil, as a work surface and as protection for you or the table top you are working on. I do most of my leather work as I sit in front of the TV in my recliner and the plank keeps me from perforating myself on a regular basis.

7. Leather working needles. Needles are nice to have but they are not a necessity. they speed things up greatly and make life much easier. You can find them at almost any craft, hobby store or fabric shop. You can also order specialty needles from leather working companies but what you buy at the sewing center work just as well and are cheaper.

We are having a storm here so I will do materials list when the lightening and thunder are no longer placing my computer in danger. Be back in a bit with more.

Messages In This Thread
How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 1 July 2013, 23:02
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Skean Dhude - 2 July 2013, 11:50
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 2 July 2013, 17:10
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Skean Dhude - 2 July 2013, 19:17
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 2 July 2013, 19:59
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by River Song - 4 July 2013, 22:19
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 5 July 2013, 02:39
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Grumpy Grandpa - 5 July 2013, 13:24
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 5 July 2013, 19:51