Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to The Land .22s
27 September 2013, 02:04, (This post was last modified: 27 September 2013, 02:07 by Timelord.)
RE: Back to The Land .22s
The conversion cylinders are not legal in the UK as that would make it a centre fire pistol which has been banned. You can have spare cylinders and many Cowboy Action Shooters do, but each spare cylinder has to have its own firearms slot on your firearms certificate. This is doable if you have a good reason for requesting it - like Cowboy Action Shooting for example! lol

The Colt replica revolvers are much faster to change the cylinder. It can be done just by sliding the pivot bar across slightly, or something like that. The cylinder readily disengages and a new one can be inserted in. With the Old Army you have to turn a "turnscrew" also which necessitates using a tool and handling the gun more etc. The Colts were used this way historically to swap over cylinders. although the timing and place and subjection to incoming fire may have had quite an impact on the ability to do this. Still it is a good option in the right situation.
I did once read that the Ruger Old Army had a very high power for a black powder handgun due to its modern design (based on the Blackhawk - retro engineered to black powder) and the barrel length/gun mass. It was quoted as having the equivalent projectile impact as a .45ACP round. the Ruger Old Army is sub sonic and the .45 I presume is Supersonic? Is that right? If so that gives the Ruger some serious hitting power. I can not verify that information at the moment though.
It is also a weapon that can be loaded manually without the need for modern cartridges. The ball/bullet is easy to cast from soft lead, even over a campfire and the propellant can be made up or sourced from a variety of base ingredients. This means the old tech firearm can be run at a very basic tech level and can continue to be run at that level when modern cartridges are scarce or non existent.
(I am sure you know this CH. I have posted it to complete the picture for all readers. Ta, TL)

(27 September 2013, 02:04)Timelord Wrote: The conversion cylinders are not legal in the UK as that would make it a centre fire pistol which has been banned. You can have spare cylinders and many Cowboy Action Shooters do, but each spare cylinder has to have its own firearms slot on your firearms certificate. This is doable if you have a good reason for requesting it - like Cowboy Action Shooting for example! lol

The Colt replica revolvers are much faster to change the cylinder. It can be done just by sliding the pivot bar across slightly, or something like that. The cylinder readily disengages and a new one can be inserted in. With the Old Army you have to turn a "turnscrew" also which necessitates using a tool and handling the gun more etc. The Colts were used this way historically to swap over cylinders. although the timing and place and subjection to incoming fire may have had quite an impact on the ability to do this. Still it is a good option in the right situation.
I did once read that the Ruger Old Army had a very high power for a black powder handgun due to its modern design (based on the Blackhawk - retro engineered to black powder) and the barrel length/gun mass. It was quoted as having the equivalent projectile impact as a .45ACP round. the Ruger Old Army is sub sonic and the .45 I presume is Supersonic? Is that right? If so that gives the Ruger some serious hitting power. I can not verify that information at the moment though.
It is also a weapon that can be loaded manually without the need for modern cartridges. The ball/bullet is easy to cast from soft lead, even over a campfire and the propellant can be made up or sourced from a variety of base ingredients. This means the old tech firearm can be run at a very basic tech level and can continue to be run at that level when modern cartridges are scarce or non existent.
(I am sure you know this CH. I have posted it to complete the picture for all readers. Ta, TL)

Nice grouping and of course perfectly adequate for a close combat weapon :-)
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"

Messages In This Thread
Back to The Land .22s - by CharlesHarris - 26 September 2013, 17:14
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Midnitemo - 26 September 2013, 17:27
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Steve - 26 September 2013, 20:42
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Timelord - 26 September 2013, 21:42
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Midnitemo - 26 September 2013, 23:19
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Timelord - 27 September 2013, 01:31
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by CharlesHarris - 27 September 2013, 01:44
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Timelord - 27 September 2013, 02:04
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Steve - 27 September 2013, 07:53
RE: Back to The Land .22s - by Midnitemo - 27 September 2013, 09:38