Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow Camping
1 December 2013, 21:10,
RE: Snow Camping
I have done a lot of camping in the snow, in my experience, .......snow=warmth, ....wind=cold, ...snow and wind=something a lot more dangerous

The most important thing about your nights camping is your camps position, a good tent is no good in a windy spot, the cold will go right through it,..I would rather have no shelter and be out of the wind, than have a shelter in the teeth of a snow gale

The deeper the snow the better, the more into the snow you are the warmer you will be, but as mentioned, more cold comes up from the floor than from above, so something like bracken, long grass, sleeping mat is important

Fire is your life saver, but going back to the first paragraph, you are more likely to fail with fire on a wind swept ridge than against a rock out of the wind,..again your position is the most important factor

Overhead cover is good, but that doesn't have to be a tent or tarp, anything that keeps snow off you will be good if you already have a sheltered spot, trees, rocks, or even your spare water-proves,......... snow = wetness,.. wetness = equals cold,..so remember your spare clothes
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
Snow Camping - by Scythe13 - 1 December 2013, 09:18
RE: Snow Camping - by Midnitemo - 1 December 2013, 18:55
RE: Snow Camping - by Highlander - 1 December 2013, 21:10