Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does weight effect your EDC choice?
21 December 2013, 11:38,
Does weight effect your EDC choice?
For your EDC, do you look at certain knives and the alike, and thing the weight is too much for EDC, or do you just carry whatever?

Got the wife a knife (amongst other things) for Christmas. Her comment of "I hope it's not a heavy one." got me thinking.

I realised that I have a load of knives that I don't carry as EDC, not because of the size of the blade, but because of the weight of it. The weight can misshape pockets, bounce in cargo pockets, and the alike.

With my EDC I just carried what was able to be concealed easily and felt natural. I have a load of knives (ask anyone who knows me) and only my wife's comment made me realise the reason I favour certain options.

Previously, I don't take X knife because it drags loose pockets down and makes it clear I'm carrying a knife. Y knife bounces in my side pocket, but only goes in there because it would drag other pockets. Z knife feels odd in certain trouser pockets, and concealment is thus an issue.

The option of my favoured knives, by accident, seems to be not based on size, but more on weight (this is where some idiot says big knives weigh more than small knives, and tries to make themselves sound intelligent...epic fail there Einstein). Why not look at the material it's made from? Titanium can be big and light. What is the frame made from? How thick is the blade/handle? Is the frame milled out? How many layers in the folder's handle? And many other questions/answers why big knives do not always mean heavy knifes.

So, as it turns out, I opt to wear lighter knives most days.

Does anyone else find the same thing, or do they opt for their EDC knife on a different criteria?

Please note, I only keep knives that are capable, so please assume that any knife I have as an option for EDC is definitely capable of doing what I require of them.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Does weight effect your EDC choice? - by Scythe13 - 21 December 2013, 11:38
RE: Does weight effect your EDC choice? - by bigpaul - 21 December 2013, 11:42
RE: Does weight effect your EDC choice? - by Midnitemo - 21 December 2013, 17:58
RE: Does weight effect your EDC choice? - by Mortblanc - 21 December 2013, 19:28
RE: Does weight effect your EDC choice? - by Binnie - 4 January 2014, 11:23