Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bug Out Bag Thoughts and Considersations
18 February 2012, 10:06, (This post was last modified: 18 February 2012, 10:36 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Bug Out Bag Thoughts and Considersations
"For me, I want manouverability, agility, speed, comfort, longevity (movement and life), and the ability to react quickly and still be fully equiped. It might seem a lot to ask, but you'd be surprised how much weight you can save just by upgrading a few items. Lighter tent, lighter bag, lighter sleeping equipment. Those are the big 3. Cut them down, and you'll be amazed the difference!"

And what about people with family, elderly relative, infants, disabled etc, your post is excellent but hits the common mistake of assuming everyone is a fit single young man. Imagine bugging out with multiple family members of various ages and physical conditions , and imagine doing it mid winter when is pissing down, bitterly cold and windy.

ten minutes gentle walking inder a poncho always leaves the person soaked with sweat, so when they stop they soon freeze.
Just before i left the army we were involved in some trials to see just how lightweight we could be and still functional after 72 hours, it was bloody aweful, never even remotely fully comfortable or not hungry, constantly looking for water, sick of eating ultralight grub instead of substantial foods, and it got much much worse when we went on extended patrols and used up even more energy. I think a balance tween weight, functionality and support is needed in kits, it may work OK for 48 hours but after 48 hours it become endurance rather than light weight fieldcraft.

Messages In This Thread
Bug Out Bag Thoughts and Considersations - by Scythe13 - 18 February 2012, 00:29
RE: Bug Out Bag Thoughts and Considersations - by uks - 18 February 2012, 00:33
RE: Bug Out Bag Thoughts and Considersations - by NorthernRaider - 18 February 2012, 10:06