Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly
17 December 2014, 13:44,
RE: Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly
You say, ‘So let’s ENCOURAGE those who wish to prep for iron age or dark age skills and technologies lets help find out what we can, it still does not mean to have to agree with them but at least you can find out more for yourselves.’

No you don’t have to agree, that’s OK with us but please don’t ridicule us just because you don’t agree. You don’t even really want to explore our views sensibly for you always come up with comments that either have nothing to do with what was said, going off topic, which appears to be away with the forum, of totally ignoring what has been said. More like our politicians who never appear to be able answer a question and always answer something that was not asked and hope we are daft enough to forget that they have not answered the original question.
It doesn't mean that we can just pack up and go back to what it was. It took many years, probably centuries of passing it down generation to generation along with the refinements of technology as it has developed.

All our current technology which relies on electricity and computers will be gone. We now have systems that are so complex and interwoven that we will not be able to replicate them; we will not have the people, the knowledge, raw materials or access to cheap easily accessible fuel to run, repair or replace them. It has been years since we had any new technology, all we have had for many years is a rehash or refinements of the basic technology that has was invented some long years ago. There is nothing new, not even in development. Technology is what has got us this far and unfortunately it will be this same technology that will be our downfall if it comes about.

We can’t just leave our technology and go back and do it how we used to. You really have no idea and all this Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly is just plain bovine manure.
Not surprising really as you really are not interested in anything longer term, and what you have said it just a cop out to anyone else as there are this far so few replies, to make it look like we are complete idiots.

A list of useful books, they will not do you or anyone much good unless you even think openly about the possibility of never being able to get back to anywhere near what we have now after SHTF.

And what really is the point in listing all these ancient craft people. You are being silly again. These people might run courses but that again is not we have been saying. We have, to say it again, been trying to get people to look further than the end of their nose. To think the unthinkable, not to prepare for it for I doubt that any one person could, but just to use their brain and give it some unbiased thought. If you are going to prepare then why not consider properly everything that you can. The what if. But I suppose the majority just cannot comprehend that it may go as such.

You mention that very good book Earth Abides and then totally out of context you just pick on the item used for the tips of arrow. Of course this may be one of the things that this society may leave any future one in abundance. But again you detract from the point. Like your colleague on wind turbines. How you going to make all these tools that are shown, or the parts or even the copper wire for the winding. Would you have the time, expertise and even the raw materials. Please don’t say there will be plenty lying about, may be in early years but later they will be gone, broken, worn out, rusted away.

No sad to say may be your incapable of even considering this or as said in more probability some mental block that you just can’t comprehend it ever happening or if it does then you like me will be long gone.

May be only difference is that I consider or at least try to think of future generations.
‘I Pencil’ was mentioned at times, a very good example of how some small item is made and all that is involved.

But again that has been rubbished and not well understood. It reminds me of talk I went to where the speaker was saying that we don’t really listen to who is speaking because our minds are busy thinking of what we want to say. He got round this by getting the new speaker to briefly recap what the previous speaker had said. That way you had to listen. A bit like reading, you read something and your mind goes to what you want to say and so you write a reply but don’t really get what the writer was saying.

To recap, we are not saying this will happen for no one knows. What we are saying is that if you are going to prepare, yes, you can only do what you can or afford, but at least consider all your options. Think the unthinkable now, realistically and it won’t be such a shock if it does happen. OK you don’t it will, I hope not as well but there is still a chance no matter how small.

I know when we moved out of London some years ago we looked at as many risks as we could. Flooding, access, open fires, water etc. etc.

The main one that we couldn't address 100% was the nuclear power station on the Bristol Channel. That we have to live with as we do the risk of nuclear war and RNAS Yeovilton. But the point is you try to consider all the risks and prepare as best you can. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And all within your personal budget and views but at least please think about and consider all the options.

That is what we have been trying to achieve but it would seem to no avail.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly - by Steve - 14 December 2014, 23:17
RE: Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly - by Jace - 17 December 2014, 10:15
RE: Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly - by John - 17 December 2014, 13:44
RE: Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly - by Steve - 17 December 2014, 19:21
RE: Exploring JOHN and PAULS views sensibly - by MaryN - 17 December 2014, 20:22