Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
radio relay
15 March 2012, 15:51, (This post was last modified: 15 March 2012, 15:53 by Lightspeed.)
RE: radio relay
Hi BD

I've been pondering this as well. Some Radio Hams in UK have set up an organization called RAYNET for disaster / emergency communications. I guess that they already have some contingency in place.

As a disparate group of preppers the challenge is considerable. Realistically if we want our own country wide infrastructure, we'd need to be using NVIS techniques as discussed in the article I posted on the main site, and even then radio relay would have to be used.

As it happens, a small group of us are about to start an initiative to create local radio networks for prepper communities (actually we'll start activities this coming weekend using completely legal PMR446 equipment). If this is succesful then just 50 main NVIS stations could relay country-wide. The word could is important here, as there would be huge OPSEC risks for the NVIS stations.

You are right about legal issues surrounding the use of radio transmitters post-event. Who's going to check?

The radio that SD mentions is a very versatile little beast. It can be programmed so as to be completely innocent if challenged by today's authorities, but simply reconfigured in the field to permit transmission on a wide range of ueseful frequencies. A new Verion it, the UV-3R mk iii, has jest started shipping. If you are considering getting one, probably best to go for a Mk ii at this time, until any bugs and weaknesses in the Mkiii are ironed out.
Excellent thinking Mike,

Through-the-earth transmission is indeed possible.

It does require special equipment though, and is completely outside of my experience. but possible it is.

Lightspeed
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
radio relay - by bowdrill - 15 March 2012, 01:39
RE: radio relay - by Scythe13 - 15 March 2012, 08:30
RE: radio relay - by mikebratcher69 - 15 March 2012, 12:36
RE: radio relay - by Scythe13 - 15 March 2012, 12:57
RE: radio relay - by Skean Dhude - 15 March 2012, 13:50
RE: radio relay - by Lightspeed - 15 March 2012, 15:51