Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Personal Protection Dog Training
7 May 2012, 23:54,
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training
I’m fairly dubious of using dogs as weapons... well family dogs anyway. Fine for the fuzz. As for training I think it also depends a lot on the individual dog. Sometimes even professional training just creates a dangerous dog. It can be a throw of the dice.

I used to work with a dog unit doing private security patrols. I wasn’t a handler, my role was the backup for the dogs!
One night one of the dogs caught a ‘trespasser’ and refused to let go on the release command. By the time his handler got him off, the ‘suspect’ was missing a bicep. After that he had a bit of a blood lust, and turned on his handler a couple of times. He was understandably going to be retired, but on his last day on the job he turned on me. Whilst his handler was off on a skive, he just clamped onto my wrist while I was opening a door. Now I’m a bit soppy with animals, and I don’t like hurting them if poss, even crazed German Shepherds trying to bite my hand off. So I left his eyes alone, and just forced his jaw open (with thumb and forefinger… the same way you give pets tablets) and then got a good twist on his collar and carried him at arms length to a high wall and dropped him over the other side. It wasn’t high enough to hurt him, but high enough that he couldn’t reach me.
I don’t know what happened to him afterwards, but he was unsuitable for work, and would have made a very unpredictable and dangerous pet.

I suppose the point of my anecdote is that you don’t want to turn a family pet into an unpredictable and dangerous pet. I’m not saying don’t do it… but what training is given is very important. Better a dog that is useless at protecting your family than a dog that one day bites the face off one of them… all it takes is one bad day for an otherwise loving dog to bite… I have a load of examples of that too, but I’ve rambled enough. I’ll try to end on something concise to put my point across… or I may even make a stab at profound...ish:

A Dog is a deadly weapon, with no safety catch… and a will of its own.

All that said, Rottys are very cute.

Messages In This Thread
Personal Protection Dog Training - by 00111001 - 30 April 2012, 11:34
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 14:17
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 14:31
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 30 April 2012, 15:22
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 15:27
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by g79 - 30 April 2012, 16:05
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 30 April 2012, 16:16
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Tonka - 7 May 2012, 23:54
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 10 May 2012, 18:13
RE: Personal Protection Dog Training - by Paul - 15 May 2012, 17:46