Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
22 July 2012, 13:26,
RE: Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting
ME! MAN! MAKE! FIRE!!

Thought I'd get this in before the august deadline Smile This was a great experience for me. Made a flame 4 times with just my knife, ferro rod and dead grass. Unfortunately I was only getting the flame to last for approx 5 seconds, and it wasn't spreading properly through the little birds nest I'd made. I figured this was proably because a) the underside had a little too much green in it because I'd only taken maybe 30 seconds walking the edge of a field picking up dead grass and b) I needed to "fluff" the nest up a bit more.
I also had the magnesium bar to make shavings (which I didn't use), rizla (which I didn't use), and 5 sheets of toilet paper, which I did use as I felt at that point I was getting a flame easy enough but I just needed something that would catch a bit more and help set the whole thing up.
I didn't have time to set it up properly with more kindling etc. but I'm confident from this point I could've have a fire going for hours with all the dead twigs and grass around

[Image: 8yw4ue.jpg]

Think I might make this a daily habit. Will give me experience in all weathers, with all different natural and man made tinders, show me how long I can reasonably expect a ferro rod to last etc.
Kind of feel like I cheated a bit with the toilet paper, but I'll still chalk it up as a win Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by TOF - 6 May 2012, 09:23
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by TOF - 14 May 2012, 21:16
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by Tonka - 15 May 2012, 00:37
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by Hrusai - 30 June 2012, 06:36
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by Hrusai - 30 June 2012, 07:39
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by Timelord - 30 June 2012, 23:02
RE: *****Forum Wide Challenge***** - by Hrusai - 2 July 2012, 00:49
RE: Forum Wide Challenge - fire starting - by HunterNurturer - 22 July 2012, 13:26