Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken... 3 years past use by date... tasted great
3 June 2012, 21:31,
RE: Chicken... 3 years past use by date... tasted great
(3 June 2012, 18:41)Bucket Wrote: takes about three weeks for the food to become poisonous after the dent has occurred.

I think that's in the most extreme cases. If every dented can became poisonous after three weeks we wouldn't have the overpopulation problem we have now!

A dent increases the risk, and potential longevity of the food. It doesn't necessarily mean that the inner coating has split. So it is best to reject them if undented cans are available. Definitely avoid them for long term storage. But if you have a dented can in your cupboard, just check it when you open it. Pour it out and look at the can. It's pretty visually obvious when a steel can has been oxidising.

If dented cans were that dangerous, they would be whisked off the shelves fast, to avoid legal action.

I know someone who is convinced dented cans kill... but she is autistic and also runs screaming from lap dogs.

I have eaten from more dented cans than I could count, and never got ill form it... left over Xmas turkey however!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chicken... 3 years past use by date... tasted great - by Tonka - 3 June 2012, 21:31