Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new CB causes me a bit of work.
29 July 2012, 15:40, (This post was last modified: 29 July 2012, 15:51 by Paul.)
RE: A new CB causes me a bit of work.
(29 July 2012, 10:35)Lightspeed Wrote: Paul,

What's the power output of your Photocell? Sound exactly the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback

LS

Ex marine charging panel. £15 from a boat jumble. 350mm x 660mm.
Charging flat out at 450mA usually 300mA 13.2 - 14.5 VDC.
No electronics apart from a simple blocking diode.
K.I.S.S. technolog,y just the way I like it.

(29 July 2012, 12:43)The Local Ned Wrote: @ Paul.

No mate - was too young to drive legally back then Sad , ran shotgun with a mate that had a wee morris marina van Smile , ran all over the place around here , setting up eyeballs and heading up the campsie hills when the skip was on.

Last time I setup a rig for mobiles was as a favour to a lorry driver mate , SWRd in his antenna and had a quick nosey around...seemed quiet just a few years back too.

Only mobile comms I will have will be PMR446 back to base location where I want to have a PMR446 base station if funds are good...I should really dig out my old tandy 27/81 walkie talkie - and keep it handy in the car.

Go one, dig the 27/81 out of retirement or, pennies permitting, I'd recommend investing in a cheapy multiband CB as you'll be missing out on a lot of DX fun.
You'll probably need a decent aerial now because it's so quiet. As you found on the truckers gear, there ain't a lot of us left!
I speak to truckers a lot round me, directions, fuel, the usual banter of old. The fun bit is when the foreign truckers come "on the side".
Last trip down to the South coast was fun. Truckers are the last of the true CB'ers and the majority are still kings of the road. I got loads of interesting breaks with them. saved a bit on deisel too thanks to a local pit stop's advice.

PMR446 has it's advantages too, it's just not as richly accessorised as old school CB was and is. I've got a pair of 446's here but they suffer greatly from atmospherics let alone structural interference.

Messages In This Thread
A new CB causes me a bit of work. - by Paul - 28 July 2012, 23:47
RE: A new CB causes me a bit of work. - by Paul - 29 July 2012, 08:51
RE: A new CB causes me a bit of work. - by Paul - 29 July 2012, 15:40