Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
3 September 2012, 17:26, (This post was last modified: 3 September 2012, 17:26 by Skvez.)
RE: Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers.
I prefer multiple panels with separate regulators into separate battery banks.
Batteries in a bank need to be the same age and need replaced all at once (*). They require replaced every few years and a single bad battery can ruin your whole bank (if not destroy the batteries at least leave them all flat).
I'd much rather replace half my batteries twice as often as need to replace them all at once.
How bad would you feel if an event happend just as your batteries were all coming up to their end of life?
Totally separate systems are more expensive but you have total redundancy. One bad anything and you've still got 1/2 your capacity.

(*) You can run systems with different batteries but the 'newer' or 'better' batteries take more than their fair share of the load and the system capacity is reduced and total charge can be harder to predict. For a professional system this is a no-no but for a home grown amateur system it would work but not as well as matched batteries would.
In an event will I be collecting car batteries (of various capacity and age) and wiring them up together ... yes, I probably still would but I'll accept that there are disadvantages to doing this.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we talk about a BASIC UNIVERSAL simple PV kit for preppers. - by Skvez - 3 September 2012, 17:26