Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knowledge,Skills,information will be Vital
29 October 2012, 16:43,
Exclamation  Knowledge,Skills,information will be Vital
I will be up front with you. Due to money,living in small rented house and a spouse who does not agree with prepping or any possible disaster...I have done or have not been able to do very much prepping since I got interested in it over the last several months.

However during my research and thinking.....it crossed my mind that in the even of a wide spread disaster, of which most of them man made or Mother Nature giving the Human Race a good kicking because she is fed up with them, which ever it will be or may be.....what will be left?

Consider this (you may have already I don't doubt) When INFRASTRUCTURE completely breaks down to the point of re building will be up to anyone who are left, who can do what?

What? Are you on about you say? Well what happens at the moment when you want water,Gas,Fuel,Food,Supplies,services.skills,jobs done, things mad,things repaired? You either flick a switch,lever,push a button, pick up a phone ask a tradesman, repair guy/gal, call the police,ambulance,doctor. When you want to know how to do something you either call someone or these dasy just GOOGLE it don't you?

Consider this...bare in mind what MAN has accomplished in the last 2 centuries (longer for some parts of the world?

Ok how about this...When something is designed and manufactured how many people and places are involved? 10-100 that's how many, from the idea to the designers to the people who make the prototypes and test it, to those who research and make the moulds and parts right up to those who test perfect sell distribute it and then maintain it.

Ok so it's a year after the Great disaster and you have found yourself in a group, community if you will, of about 25 people. Even if you had 2 plumbers,an electrician, 4 builders, a nurse and a Doctor (GP) ....unless you have had the MONEY and forethought of organising a super secret shelter compound well hidden and fortified from marauders and had stocked it up not only with a years worth of food, medical supplies,drugs, tools,fuel generators, solar power panels, converters or another way of generating power, hundreds of spare parts for everything from the toilet to the taps,pipes, electrics, circuits etc etc etc......

Also most of these MODERN day versions of Doctor,Builder,Plumber,Electrician will have been trained with MODERN TOOLS and skills to use MODERN POWER TOOLS and drugs that would need replenishing by who? FROM WHERE? Ok AFTER you have exhausted every possible salvage operation and brought back parts and supplies, drugs (that like in the movies JUST SO HAPPEN to be the ones you need that will fit or work.)

What then?

Sorry I ramble on a lot, FINALLY MY POINT

KNOWLEDGE IS VITAL TO REBUILD SOCIETY LATER AND ANOTHER TYPE OF KNOWLEDGE IS NEEDED TO KEEP YOU GOING UNTIL THE NEXT GENERATIONS CAN USE THE OTHER KNOWLEDGE YOU COULD HAVE WHEN THEY HAVE THE RESOURCES TO act on the information.

BOOKS HAVE KNOWLEDGE, so if you have a nice large compound that is secure and safe where you and your group intend to stay then make a room, fill it with book shelves and fill them up with books on traditional methods
TOOL MAKING
TRADITIONAL CRAFTS
BASIC ANCIENT WATER IRRIGATION
HERBAL AND PLANTS AS MEDICINE (AND FOODS)
PHYSIO THERAPY, CHIROPRACTOR SKILLS
FIELD MEDICINE (as in improvising without modern equipment)
plants,seed,farming, small agriculture )
sewing,clothes making the traditional hand way
basket weaving, washing clothes by hand with??

the list could go on for ever (by all means what can you think of)

IF you do not have the room or you want to have the Knowledge with you as it will be useful further down the line to you AND make you a BARGAINING chip to join a group in a compound because you have this knowledge then do what I want to try and do....have a GOOD EBOOK reader that has long Battery life and low power consumption so it can be recharged by USB crank or solar power USB folding soft panels. 3,500 books and many more if you have an E reader that takes an SD card slot (Like the Nook which scored 4.9 against the KINDLE which scores 5.0 . But the Kindle does not have SD reader. So if yours brakes or fails you can not use the card to use infor IF and WHEN you found another device, android tablet,phone, e reader that takes micro SD. The Kindle can go for UP to 8 weeks reading against the Nooks 4-5, but if you have portable crank or sola charger then not such a big deal.

Think of the knowledge music video clips of how to, that you could store on SD cards or even many many micro SD cards which can be used via an adapter to go into MOST devices you may come across. They take up NO room or weight to have with you. Have them on a soft belt under your trousers loads of pockets surrounding the belt so if you were robbed, chances are they would miss them.

This Knowledge can help a group short term survive and long term rebuild teaching and learning the skills needed to rebuild and re learn.

E books are free and cost money, the trick is to find as many RELEVANT and USEFUL ones that cost little or nothing.

Without it we will become scavengers and cave dwellers starting from scratch when it comes to skills of how to make things, invent them use them, We don't want that do we? We want to be able to let our new generations to have knowledge.

just a thought, Sorry it was a long first part of a thread. (I get carried away sometimes)

Your thoughts? What book, E-book, MP3/mp4(power permitting) would you store for the future? SD/Micro SD cards are not that much to buy thankfully.

Messages In This Thread
Knowledge,Skills,information will be Vital - by DorsetGeezer - 29 October 2012, 16:43