Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perennial Kitchen Garden
11 March 2013, 20:58,
Perennial Kitchen Garden
I am sure that most people think of fruit trees and soft fruit bushes whenever the idea of a permanent supply is mentioned. I'd like to persuade you about the benefits of perennial vegetables, in particular asparagus, as being a worthwhile vegetable to plant up in your garden. I think asparagus suffers from a sort of food snobbery, mainly brought about by the stuffy and traditional ideas as to ways of eating it. All of which are piffle. If you must go to expensive restaurants where you have to eat asparagus with your fingers and with the help of a fingerbowl, then you have only yourself to blame for the wrong impression of asparagus. This stuff is great! I have grown it for years and greedily anticipate the yearly crop from my garden. I must admit that most of it does not reach the kitchen, it gets munched raw while I potter in the kitchen garden.

Growing asparagus is not difficult. You need a nice strip of ground - depending on how much you want to grow - in an open situation. Asparagus can be bought as ready to plant crowns, or you can grow it from seed. I have grown mine from seed - it's so easy and I have been able to get heritage seeds. This plant needs only a little attention to provide long term picking. It's a gross feeder, so lots of well rotted manure dug in before planting will have your plants purring with happiness. It's resentful of being moved once planted, so just keep it gently weed free and leave it alone. Once a year give it a good feed. If you can hold yourself back from cutting too many spears - it does need to grow some feathery fern to keep itself healthy - you can feed yourself well from about the second year of planting. No further attention is needed - what more could you ask!

It gets better. Not only is asparagus a delicious vegetable, but it has new-found health benefits. It is loaded with vitamins and has been found to have a high level of glutathione, a detoxifying compound that helps to break down carcinogens and free radicals. It is also packed with antioxidants, and has been found to be helpful in the natural treatment of many health problems. It deserves a place in your long-term garden as a tool towards keeping your family healthy.

Happy planting.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Perennial Kitchen Garden - by MaryN - 11 March 2013, 20:58
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by MaryN - 11 March 2013, 21:45
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by preservefreak - 11 March 2013, 22:23
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by MaryN - 11 March 2013, 22:39
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by SecretPrepper - 11 March 2013, 23:53
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by Lightspeed - 12 March 2013, 03:08
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by MaryN - 12 March 2013, 20:27
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by ObongoPox - 12 March 2013, 12:27
RE: Perennial Kitchen Garden - by ObongoPox - 12 March 2013, 22:12