Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tales from the Henhouse
15 May 2013, 22:38,
RE: Tales from the Henhouse
My Light Sussex surprise me, at the moment they are happy to dig in the soil and be passed extra dandelions, they hardly touch the layers pellets and corn I give them but still get plenty of eggs. I am raising a couple of cockerels, another Light Sussex (LS) to breed with the girls and a Rhode Island Red (RIR) to cross with that offspring.

A RIR male and LS female will produce sex linked chicks - the female chicks look like RIR chicks and the male chicks are the yellow LS chicks. Good to know if you only want more ladies.

Although I am near the edge of an urban area (and my area is defiantly in the urban part) I have found people are fine with me keeping cockerels. Have enough space to keep them about 60 yards from any houses and by not letting noisy cockerels out before 8am, no one minds. Most all people have double glazing these days anyway. I get plenty of cock a doodle doing through the day, but then, the neighbours dog has always barked, the seagulls have always made a noise. Had nothing but positive feedback, the neighbours say it is relaxing and a nice sound that makes them feel more rural or what have you.

Messages In This Thread
Tales from the Henhouse - by MaryN - 15 May 2013, 20:57
RE: Tales from the Henhouse - by Stewart - 15 May 2013, 22:31
RE: Tales from the Henhouse - by BDG - 15 May 2013, 22:38
RE: Tales from the Henhouse - by Mortblanc - 15 May 2013, 22:39