Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Part of the Bug in or Bug out conundrum
17 May 2013, 08:50,

©NR

In the UK many of us have already done the math and decided that Bugging in makes more sense tactically and logistically than Bugging out, it’s not like we live on Tristan Da Cuhna or Saint Helena islands and simply have no choice about leaving in a hurry if TSHTF. In our case it tends to be a combination of geography, population demographics, politics and economics and of course family ties that affects our choices.

I still remember the reports that came out after the Hurricane Andrew and Hurricane Katrina of well organised preppers in the US still getting stuck in slow moving traffic on clogged roads from freeways to backwoods paths running out of fuel after crawling along in first gear for over 14 hours.

But there are plenty of other all too common examples that could bugger up our bug out plans

Anyway I thought I would take a brief look at what sort of thing could prevent us from actually bugging out especially by vehicle but in general by using the highway system.

First of all you’re BOV simply not starting (EMP to mechanical failure)

Then your BOV breaking down shortly after bugging out (frame failure on a bike to a blown engine)

The roads being closed by the authorities

The roads being clogged solid by refugees

The roads being flooded

The road being snowed under

Landslip

Subsidence

Fallen trees

Radiological fallout

High strong winds affecting your loaded vehicles stability

Roads taken over by military for priority traffic

Collapsed buildings or walls

Abandoned vehicles

Roadblocks by troops or nasty people

Roads clogged with holiday traffic

Roads clogged by commuters

Wild Fire and smoke closing route

Roads clogged by masses attending large public events

Bridges and overpasses being blown up or dropped onto the road

Not enough fuel set aside and you exhaust your supply crawling in slow moving traffic

Road traffic accidents

Railway crossing barriers locked down

Nasty people shooting at anyone passing by

Canal locks closed off

Section of canal closed or drained

Cycle routes deliberately blocked

Those examples are just off the top of my head and all need to be seriously considered in your plans if you are adamant that bugging out is still your primary response to an incident.

Just another bit of food for thought

NR

Messages In This Thread
Part of the Bug in or Bug out conundrum - by NorthernRaider - 17 May 2013, 08:50