Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six Chicken House and integrated run
11 June 2013, 10:58,
RE: Six Chicken House and integrated run
Ours are vocal but not too much they do cluck but not very loudly. I doubt anyone who is not actually a neighbour in all directions can hear them I can't hear them at the front of the house. Nothing like the sound of a cockerel from what I remember. They are vocal for two things when we come out it is like they are calling us 'Over here. I'm here. Bring that food over here' and when they are threatened. Say a dog walks in 'Nothing over here. We're not here. No food over here. Someone help us.'

But they quickly get used to threats. They don't bother about the cat now, in fact it is getting pushed out, the dog next door is ignored, as it is now ignoring them.

Still getting six eggs a day from three. Family take the excess. They do generate a massive amount of poo but as it is good fertilizer that is good news.

The only thing I can suggest is it is the type. I have Warrens. Very friendly. Don't mind getting picked up and great with the kids. Not eaten one yet.

One issue that was mentioned is they just wander into the house when the door is open and test everything for food. ATe the cats food, drunk it's water, and they do drink a lot as well. I'm upgrading my water container to give me a bit of contingency.

Still think they are well worth the money and easy to keep.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Six Chicken House and integrated run - by Skean Dhude - 11 June 2013, 10:58