Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Your Own Homemade Compass
29 November 2011, 18:15,
RE: Creating Your Own Homemade Compass
(29 November 2011, 17:22)Skvez Wrote: Wet and Cold

Certainly there are a few rare cases where creating a compass this way would be necessary but I wanted to point out that it’s a last resort idea.
I've read too many threads where prepers have been confused into thinking that a novel way of improvising something is a good way to do it!
An example of this being people who but a battery and wire wool into their BoB to make fire, yes this works but a more reliable, smaller, safer, cheaper, longer lasting way would be to pack a lighter.

I don't want people to be packing magnets and needles into their BoB instead of a real compass!

I think we all know that Skvez I would at least hope we all do! but that a side I think that the rule of 3 should be in place on these smaller life savers, for example 3 different ways to make ignition, lighter, fire steel, mag block, or flint and char striker, but always rule of 3, I myself would not use wire wool & battery but each to their own. This leads to a question, have you really tested these cheap small compass, do they break easy, have you tested in freezing temps, does the lens frost up and needle get stuck, can they be coloured orange or bought orange at this cheap price? Should we add them to the rule of 3.

Yes NR rub a pin I think I learned that when I was like 5 years old I would have thought people knew this but if they did not they do now, and that’s why we make these threads, to add knowledge some might not already know and to get better understanding or improve on the knowledge we do know.

Messages In This Thread
Creating Your Own Homemade Compass - by Nemesis - 25 November 2011, 04:51
RE: Creating Your Own Homemade Compass - by Skvez - 29 November 2011, 14:57
RE: Creating Your Own Homemade Compass - by Nemesis - 29 November 2011, 16:11
RE: Creating Your Own Homemade Compass - by Skvez - 29 November 2011, 17:22
RE: Creating Your Own Homemade Compass - by Nemesis - 29 November 2011, 18:15
RE: Creating Your Own Homemade Compass - by JD1 - 29 November 2011, 18:58