Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last nights US DDP on Nat Geo
6 June 2013, 10:29,
Last nights US DDP on Nat Geo
now this was much more about prepping than the DDPUK2 show which was 99% bushcraft and wilderness survival.

They started with a retired couple of Floridians who were still fit and active after working as Paramedics. They moved to Virginia ( I think) and invested ALL of their pension funds and savings in a 40 acre hillside plot in which they appear to be moderately successful at living entirely off grid and 100% self sufficient.

I dont normally agree with the driving factors behind the US preppers motivation but I do agree with the very good level of thought and commitment this loving couple had put into creating a modern version of a homestead.

They grew their own crops, raised critters and chooks, were self sufficient in mountain fed spring water and had about 30 to 40 PV panels set up to charge a bsattery bank. they even kept multiple Bee hives to generate honey and beeswax as a barter currency with their neighbours. They also barter PV electricity for goods and services off their neighbours.

This was much more my flavour of prepping and I enjoyed watching it, though I am by no means knocking the UK preppers efforts I just see it as being more about wilderness survival for singles than self sufficiency for families. two interesting shows though.

Messages In This Thread
Last nights US DDP on Nat Geo - by NorthernRaider - 6 June 2013, 10:29
RE: Last nights US DDP on Nat Geo - by Tarrel - 6 June 2013, 20:43
RE: Last nights US DDP on Nat Geo - by I-K-E - 6 June 2013, 20:47
RE: Last nights US DDP on Nat Geo - by Tarrel - 6 June 2013, 22:02