Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archery question opinions sought
8 June 2013, 11:43,
RE: Archery question opinions sought
Most adult men can handle 40-45 comfortably with a little bit of training. This is too heavy for a complete beginner though as you need to get your Anchor point solid first before you have any hope of accurately hitting your target. This will be impossible if your bow is too strong for you. The lowest practical weight for your bow would be in the 40-50lb draw weight as this poundage is sufficient for anything in uk.
The Samick range of bows are very well made for the price and I have owned a couple of them and they all shot performed well. I fell down an embankment carrying a Samick SHB 58, and the bow shed the the string without any failure. The SKB 50 is a fantastic little bow, it is light weight, short and very fast. These loosely termed "Horsebows" are all shot off the hand traditional style, and compared to a "centre shot" bow are a little bit harder to use. I have found all of these bows to be sensitive to how you grip them. If you grip them too tight they have tendency to "kick", you must grip them loosely. Some of them can be a bit fussy with arrows, as I have found a heavier Arrow is needed to quieten them down. If you want to try this type of bow then the Samick SKB 50 is a good choice. It is a well tested bow and very popular so if there were any problems they would have shown up by now. If you want to try an authentic nomad bow and are serious, then there are none better than Csaba Grozer http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_m.htm
If you want a field bow that is reliable and well recommended the Samick SHB 58 is a great little bow, I owned one for three years in 45lb and it was excellent. My Wife still owns one. http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Samick...d_Bow.html. The down side with all these centre shot bows is that you need some sort of arrow rest to shoot off, although you could shoot some field bows straight off the shelf.
So, for simplicity a traditional bow would be the option, no cams, arrow rests or sights etc.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Archery question opinions sought - by JD1 - 8 June 2013, 08:46
RE: Archery question opinions sought - by Tartar Horde - 8 June 2013, 11:43
RE: Archery question opinions sought - by JD1 - 8 June 2013, 22:00
RE: Archery question opinions sought - by bigpaul - 1 August 2013, 12:21
RE: Archery question opinions sought - by Leigh - 13 August 2013, 19:01
RE: Archery question opinions sought - by MCavity - 14 August 2013, 09:16