Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag
14 June 2013, 11:35,
RE: Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag
I remember going over my GHB with I-K-E at the Wales Meet.

You don't need loads of equipment, even for a 100 mile trip (on foot). Look at the stuff Ultra-Marathoners take. Check out UTMB for a brilliant GHB kit list. If it's good enough for UTMB, it's damn well good enough for us.

My basic GHB is:
Water (you'll be refuelling and the UK is an easy place to find water)
Water purification tablets for above purpose
1 Medium knife
1 Small knife
First Aid Kit
LOADS of Pro Plus (pull an all nighter, or 3)
1 Emergency Shelter
2 Space blankets
Compeed Blister kit
Energy sachets to keep movement to a max
Recovery sachets to keep recovery to a max
Chocolate, because it's delicious and keeps spirits high
Waterproof jacket
Ultra-Lite Head Torch, plus spare batteries
2 Para-cord bracelets.
A pair of Vibram 5 Finger Shoes

I think that's about it, off the top of my head.
Don't see much use for more than that. I'd have my EDC with me, so that's compass, another knife (or 3), lock picks, and a little bit more.

You really only need enough stuff to keep you alive and functioning until you can get home. Ultra runners travel crazy distances in 2 days. With a combination of jogging and walking, if you're of reasonable fitness, you should be able to cover about 100 miles! WHAT?!?!? Yep, I'm serious. If you travel at 4mph, in 25 hours, you've covered 100 miles. Halve that speed shall we. If you travel 2mph, and travel for 18 hours a day (very doable if you really want to get home) you'll be travelling 104 miles in 3 days. I'd try for an average speed of 3mph, for 12 hours a day, totalling 108 miles. To be totally honest, I would more likely try to maintain about 5 miles an hour (that's 12 minute miles, a very doable pace for people of pretty good fitness), but would maintain that pace for less time. In a day, you could run 1 hour, rest an hour, and still cover 60 miles in a day.

See why fitness and practice is important? Lighter kit makes life much easier. The 100 mile journey still wouldn't be easy, but it would be much easier if you're fit, and with light kit.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Back to Basics a SUGGESTED Get Home Bag - by Scythe13 - 14 June 2013, 11:35