Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fit, or Fit for the Purpose
22 June 2013, 20:27,
Fit, or Fit for the Purpose
I've read several articles recently about the benefits of fitness. All of them were in some way centred around work-outs at the gym or on home equipment, or involved some sort of roadwork. It got me thinking. We're all going to need to be "fit" to cope with the aftermath of any disaster, but how fit and fit for what?

I personally couldn't run a mile - I have boobs (ouch!). Jog a mile (possibly), or walk a mile (no sweat). So does that make me unfit?

I'm in the process of breaking an eejit of a pony to do some work for his living. This involves quite a lot of work. Now, to break a pony in you have to somehow kid him that you are stronger than he is and so it is better for him to do as you say. Half a ton of horse that suddenly decides not to cooperate is difficult to cope with and no amount of human strength will stop that animal taking off if he feels like it. I have the knowledge to deal with it, but it does not involve any physical strength beyond actually holding reins and keeping my wits about me. No amount of pumping iron in a gym would help here (sorry Scythe 13!), and it's not muscle but brain that is going to complete the job. Does that make me unfit?

I can garden all day and still be upright at the end of the day (maybe a twinge in the bum area...), but OH can't do it. He doesn't have the technique to protect himself from all that bending, digging and raking... but does that make him unfit?

My OH does a lot of the hard physical work around our place. I can hoick feed sacks and throw hay bales around (they're not light), but I've learned how to do it without hurting myself, and it's more technique than physical prowess. OH is a whizz at cutting up the logs to stack and store them. He makes it look so easy - heft the axe, a short swing and chop and done! I can do that too, but I use far too much energy and it leaves me breathless after a couple of minutes. OH won't let me do it now - he says I'm a danger to myself and the logs. But does being breathless after that exercise make me unfit, or is it just that my fitness is reserved for other activities?

So, when are you "fit", or is it just a question of being "fit for that particular purpose"? Perhaps we need to decide what we are likely to be involved in doing and concentrate of dealing with that in the most efficient manner, and of course with the least harm done to oneself.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by MaryN - 22 June 2013, 20:27
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by I-K-E - 22 June 2013, 20:50
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by Arnie72 - 22 June 2013, 21:16
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by Scythe13 - 23 June 2013, 08:34
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by Steve - 23 June 2013, 08:54
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by bigpaul - 23 June 2013, 08:56
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by Prepper1 - 23 June 2013, 09:31
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by bigpaul - 23 June 2013, 10:27
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by Skean Dhude - 23 June 2013, 11:14
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by bigpaul - 23 June 2013, 11:18
RE: Fit, or Fit for the Purpose - by Skean Dhude - 23 June 2013, 11:55