Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Emphasis & Priority of Own Prep vehicle
23 June 2013, 19:56,
RE: Emphasis & Priority of Own Prep vehicle
It might be that the most reliable, safest way to travel around PSHTF would be on foot, very quietly and alert. Vehicles would be useful to some in the initial stages, but it is good to remember that you are very vulnerable in/on any vehicle. For PSHTF and then some, once you have judged your area "clear" of any risks and probably also if you have a number of personnel for security, then vehicles could be good for fast mobility for security ops - ** that is taking into account their weaknesses as well. ** Indiginous tribesmen, fighting off Oil company hired mercenaries on some tropical island somewhere in the late 90's, had considerable success using old diesel pick ups for mobility around their island in response to the mercenaries movements. The transport mechanisation gave them a bonus that enabled them to isolate & pin down the mercenary forces. The diesel trucks were run on pressed banana skin juice as there was no other oil type fuel available due to the Oil companies naval blockade. (Shame on Shell for this!!)
This tactic is worth being aware of even though it may not apply to everyone and not on your list of possibilities. Still, you never know what situation you could eventually find yourself in.
Motor bikes may be useful but are usually noisy. I would make up now or expediently PSHTF a seriously muffling exhaust. It might drop the performance a bit & top end speed, but that is likely not to be a consideration taking into account the mission types at short to slightly less short range. Having an additional silencer/muffler that can be slotted onto the end of any vehicles exhaust could be a useful item and easy to source too. (Using a design feature from the golden age of classic motorbike racing, if you fit or modify the exhaust end into a vertical slot/fan shape, then the sound waves do not fan out to the side to anywhere near the same degree and most of the sound exits directly rearwards in a vertical arc. useful & simple knowledge!)

I have been thinking that without an early bug out action, then a four wheeled vehicle would probably not be much use until well after an event, when things have gone a bit quieter. Even then , I feel the threat risk would be "high" & just how far PSHTF would you need to travel that would warrant a vehicle. - or even to warrant investing a large percentage of valuable time & resources in your own now Pre any event? If you are in an isolated area and can use a vehicle for manual tasks, then that would be useful, but it might also attract unwanted attention.

If bugging in, I would stay well clear of using any vehicle until local security is confirmed. The good reason to have one would be if needing to "Get Out of Dodge Quick!!, but again we are back to the travel issues listed earlier with this possibility.

I know everyone is different and some live in rural areas and some not, but I think that this idea of having to have a prep vehicle as part of the prep check list and the actual reality of it to any preppers own situation needs to be given some more in depth appraisel than it often receives. For the UK this is more relevant due to the spread of population density but it also may be useful to our American cousins too to look deeper into the whys and wherefors... Smile Safe travels, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Emphasis & Priority of Own Prep vehicle - by Timelord - 23 June 2013, 19:56