Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Make SHTF Shoes
5 July 2013, 19:51,
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes
They usually take on failed attempt in fabric before you get a good fit.

The guy in the video also uses a whip stitch and if you use a running stitch your can tug the stitch tighter and make the seam zig-zag and give a better fit on the top.

The next lesson will be a foot covering called a shoe-pack. It is made from two side pieces and a separate sole. It can be made from more durable materials and a hard sole.

Their construction makes them an excellent SHTF option due to ability to attach a separate sole very easily and the multitude of materials one could use in their fabrication.

I am trying to find links/instructions to the style and not having much luck. They are also known as Ft. Legionare boots after the archeological site where they were first discovered. It is a North American site that dates to the 7 Years War (1754)

The shoe-pack is my favored home made footgear. I make mine from North American Elkhide with boarhide for the soles. I keep two or three pair on hand since I use them continually. I have worn them on extended hikes and at almost every training session I teach for the past thirty years. They are both tough and comfortable. When I am not in modern gear these are what I am usually wearing.

I may have to wait until I get my big computer back on line with photo capabilities for that one.

Messages In This Thread
How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 1 July 2013, 23:02
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Skean Dhude - 2 July 2013, 11:50
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 2 July 2013, 17:10
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Skean Dhude - 2 July 2013, 19:17
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 2 July 2013, 19:59
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by River Song - 4 July 2013, 22:19
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 5 July 2013, 02:39
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Grumpy Grandpa - 5 July 2013, 13:24
RE: How to Make SHTF Shoes - by Mortblanc - 5 July 2013, 19:51