Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You'll need more food and water than you think.
8 July 2013, 21:29,
RE: You'll need more food and water than you think.
(8 July 2013, 20:25)Skean Dhude Wrote: I've calculated my food based on the contents. Tin of peas, potatoes, sweetcorn, meat is a meal for 4 at the minimum plus some pud. Living well. Reduce that and make it last two days, perhaps add in some carrots as well. My calculations are based on meals like that. Sadly, I have a set of similar meals which I can mix and match.

I've tried out the meals but filling the pantry and then just using the tins and we made it last two months. In the end though we topped up some of the veg tins so I had to suppliment my veg stores with some more. It's the only way to learn. test your theories.

So some days will have had more calories than others.

Thats the way I have done it SD,.. if I have 265 tins of stew and 265 tins of veg as a main meal per day, and 265 tins of fruit and coffee/tea, maybe sweets per day, then I have a years food.

I think that to count what you have you have to start with rationing in mind, and a person can survive on a tin of stew a day,.. once you have a couple of months of `rationed` food supplies, then you can add.

.... its a mind game, when you think you have 6 months `ration` food, you feel better about things, even before you add more, survival is about being in the right frame of mind as well as body,..if you feel good, you are more able to cope

.... and then we go and complicate things by buying tubs of this, or bags of that, bottles and all manor of containers containing different foods,.. that all very difficult to count

So, I personally think that a preper can get too wrapped up with his food count,..most of us put away what we can, when we can, its not important how much we have, most of us can do no more than we are doing now,.. so why bother counting at all,.. just keep adding
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
RE: You'll need more food and water than you think. - by Highlander - 8 July 2013, 21:29