Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need suggestions for alternative sleeping system
13 July 2013, 19:13, (This post was last modified: 13 July 2013, 19:20 by Mortblanc.)
RE: Need suggestions for alternative sleeping system
(13 July 2013, 18:13)Highlander Wrote:
(13 July 2013, 17:10)Mortblanc Wrote: .

I remember something about your troops in the Falklands abandoning their "sleep systems" so they could carry more ammo.

You heard right, The British military sleeping bag is the inner to the Arctic sleeping bags, and although they are very good,.. I still use one now,... they are bulky

Many left the sleeping bag behind in favor of an extra jacket,..

Leaves one to consider "alternative approaches" to these problems.

We get so accustomed to the cultural expectations that we ignore other alternatives.

We feel we must have bedding, and we must lie flat on a sleeping mat, and we must get 8 full hours at a stretch.

Any combat infantryman knows that in a tactical situation, the crisis of SHTF, one sleeps when they can and how they can, grabbing whatever comfort is presented no matter how meager.

I once rolled up in a GI poncho and slept on a flat rock during a pouring rain and was delighted to get any rest at all.

Why not an extra pair of wool socks for the feet and pulling one's arms inside the down parka while leaning against a fur tree hidden well under the low hanging boughs. Sleeping for two hours now and two hours latter as danger demands a move sooner than anticipated.

As a parallel to the Scot Highlander example I have documentation of frontiersmen in the Eastern U.S. who would lean against a tree and wrap themselves in a blanket and light a candle stub, placing it on the ground between their knees. The blanket would be draped over their heads and all the heat from the candle flame would be trapped under the blanket. I have done this using a candle lantern and it is very effective.

There is also a method called a "Dakota hole" that some have tried. I have not used that one myself but I know several that have tried it and claim it works.

They make the Dakota hole and let it burn to coals, then cover the fire with dirt, leaving the chimney section open, then sit on top of the dirt covered coals.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need suggestions for alternative sleeping system - by Mortblanc - 13 July 2013, 19:13