Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is something I had not considered before
10 August 2013, 11:36,
RE: Here is something I had not considered before
The Eastern counties of England had major drainage works during the 17-18-19C allowing vast areas of land to be cultivated, in my area there used to be over 70 Meres, we only have one now. Large areas of the Eastern counties are only above water due to the pumping operations and drainage networks such as the great Ouse. If at any point in the future we have a breakdown of the infrastructure those areas of England will be flooded, reverting them back to their former medieval condition. Some areas of Cambridgeshire are 6ft below water level, the same applies to areas of the Wash and the Ancholme river floodplain. To understand what this means in a modern context, imagine the majority of the land in Cambridgeshire under water, the Lincolnshire fens expanding to cover the whole of the Wash basin, the Ouse, Trent and Humber rivers combining to make another large floodplain in the East of Yorkshire. The Somerset levels are another area that was historically "wetland" and very difficult to navigate, that's why King Alfred hid there during the Viking wars, and exactly the same reason why Hereward the Wake hid in the Fens around the "Isle" of Ely when he rebelled against the Bastard William.
Monastic records and Domesday show us that the major industry in these areas was Fishing and the cultivation of "water meadows" for beef raising. In my area of East Yorkshire water resources, specifically Eels and fish were heavily protected and showed the importance in monetary value of the resource.
In 1260, William, the 11th abbot of nearby Meaux Abbey, claimed fishing rights in the southern half of the mere, only to discover that the abbot of St Mary's in York had done likewise. This led to the so-called Battle of Haraney, the old name for Hornsea Mere, and then meaning Hare Island.
Because neither Abbot would yield, it was decided the matter could be resolved only by combat, with each abbot selecting a knight to fight on his behalf. The battle would be fought on the shores of the mere and the winner would determine who had fishing rights to the disputed southern half.
To prevent arguments about precisely which half was under consideration, a horse was made to swim across the lake on the boundary line in question. The Knights fought all day with neither side being able to claim victory, but the Meaux champion eventually weakened and capitulated. In this way, the York Abbot won the right to fish in the southern half and promptly allowed the monks of Meaux to do likewise.
Now what does this historical pre-amble have to do with ourselves and our modern day preparations?
If some of our members are preparing for a complete breakdown of Civilisation it would be wise to consider the areas in which you intend to make your living. Those areas that now look inviting might be under water in a year or two, post SHTF. Without any mechanism to drain and control the flow of water those areas that Historically were wetlands WILL flood once more making large areas of England uninhabitable. Knowledge is power and I do not intend to be alarmist here, only to inform people about the radical changes to those areas mentioned. I heartily recommend doing some of your own research on this, and note where those areas are on today's maps, it will certainly make you think!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Here is something I had not considered before - by Tartar Horde - 10 August 2013, 11:36