Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated review DPM cotton smock
25 August 2013, 11:06,
Updated review DPM cotton smock
Review Smock
Combat, Windproof, Woodland DPM Cotton
©NR 2011(updated Aug2013)

After finally being happy with the modifications I made to my Mountain Warehouse 200 G fleece then not being overly chuffed to find out that about the same time loads of companies were launching tactical fleeces, I sought out a suitable top coat for foul weather tactical usage and EDC use.

I’ve tried Gore-tex hiking coats but never got away with them, tried other systems of coats and always found them wanting, and still not being able to afford top notch mountaineering kit I turning my attention back to my roots IE the British army. I need a tough, COMFORTABLE, well fitting, adjustable, easy clean, rugged, very functional and affordable jacket to carry my EDC kit and it’s got to be utterly reliable.

30 years ago on and off duty I only ever wore a DPM or Black SAS smock by Radar of Redcar, or a standard issue 1980s pattern DPM combat jacket, it was to this family of clothes I returned to investigate again.

So for the last 8 weeks I have been EDCing a current issue Disruptive Pattern Smock in Woodland colours (no desire to look like a modern desert warrior) and have to say I’m absolutely delighted with this jacket. It is the LEAST modified coat I have ever owned, I normally spend hours cutting, sewing trimming or altering coats I use as a Prepper.

The Smock Itself. (Smock, DPM windproof NSN 8415-99-573-5262)

It’s a treated close weave cotton smock with full length double ended very tough two way nylon zip, it has a rolled up hood secured by a cord loop over a button. The zip is covered by a windproof flap secured by Velcro tabs

Design

1 x very small pocket on LH sleeve secured by Velcro tab
2 x upper chest pockets
2 x lower pockets
The pockets are of the pleated bellows type
All of the front pockets have fold over tops secured by Canadian pattern slotted buttons
The upper front has also got 2 x internal pockets accessed by zips on the outside of the jacket
A chest mounted rank slide is also fitted.

On the inside the jacket has a waist adjuster cord and an elasticated bottom hem cord

Water resistant
The jacket itself is treated with both IR reducing agents and water proofing agents that leave it VERY water resistant but NOT water proof, being natural fibres it breathes a bit so you don’t get sweaty when working hard with it on.

Don’t dry clean
If you dry clean this jacket you will ruin the IR reducing coating and remove much of the water proofing, 60 degree wash, warm steam iron dry, Can be tumble dried.
Re-waterproof after every 3rd wash with in-wash waterproofing treatment.

Shortcomings
The only bit I’m not overly pleased about is the modern smock no longer has a pen pocket on the sleeve like the early versions,

Quality
Every bit as good as Cold War era DPM smocks made from good quality cloth, thread and fittings, VASTLY superior to the bloody awful poor quality early 90s issue smocks.

Modifications
I have only fitted so far a press stud popper on the hem of the smock to help keep it closed when worn in the tucked under blouson style so beloved of old ex-squaddies like me, I may sew on an extra piece of cloth or two to fasten microphones to or to run earpiece cables through.

IF I was still a Rifleman and facing the Russian hoards in Germany I would almost certainly cut off all the noisy damn Velcro and fit buttons or press studs to the jacket, The noise Velcro makes when being opened is hellishly noisy at night when trying to hide in a battlefield.

OVERALL OPINION

I Love this jacket, and wish I could find one in a plain colour.

Update August 2013

I’ve now had this jacket for EDC use for over two years it’s been rotated in use with a soft shell and fleece jacket in that time. I am absolutely delighted with the function and form of this jacket, its comfy as old slippers, useful as a 3 season jacket (4 over a fleece), tough, reliable, easy to look after and its pockets are cavernous. I did not fix the extra cloth loops for a hand mike as the modern PMR UV5R Baofeng radios live comfortably in almost all of the pockets. It’s softer to the touch now after a few washes, I see no signs of wear, I expect the washing has reduced the water repellence of the cloth but I don’t really mind (it would be easy to use an in wash reproofer). Boy I wish these jackets had been on issue back in 72, I highly recommend these garments to anyone who has a current need for a working jacket.

Messages In This Thread
Updated review DPM cotton smock - by NorthernRaider - 25 August 2013, 11:06
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Lightspeed - 13 February 2018, 12:15
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Lightspeed - 13 February 2018, 12:17
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Lightspeed - 13 February 2018, 13:18
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Midnitemo - 13 February 2018, 15:20
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Midnitemo - 13 February 2018, 15:26
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Lightspeed - 13 February 2018, 19:41
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Midnitemo - 13 February 2018, 21:54
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Lightspeed - 14 February 2018, 18:30
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Pete Grey - 14 February 2018, 15:34
RE: Updated review DPM cotton smock - by Midnitemo - 14 February 2018, 16:11