Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who to call, where, and when?
3 December 2012, 23:47, (This post was last modified: 3 December 2012, 23:51 by The Local Ned.)
RE: Who to call, where, and when?
I have no desire to restart this discussion once again or at any other time.

I will simply point out that the 2 nearest repeaters to me - one UHF the other dual UHF/VHF have BOTH got off the grid power setups , admittedly, this results in one being intermittent at times , but the fact remains.

The repeater that is regular and reliable I've heard stations from CUMBRIA working it (Unbelievable - very unlikely - but true nonetheless ) , and I listen in to regular morning group chats from just outside Dunfermline , down to Carluke and around Glasgow etc.

Ham operators can be termed as your original geeks ( sry prepper hams ) , messing around with electronics and coming up with these alternative power sources are right up their street. The only communications net I still expect to see up and running after TSHTF ( but maybe not 100% ) is the radio amateurs with their repeaters.

Food for thought.

Easy to use PMR via UV-5R type handsets will do for most of my needs.
No complications , no huge expectations , very little technogeekery involved apart from the initial setup - which some of our members have already prepared the way (for others to use) via their computers and a data cable.

In most radio setups >Range means greater power requirements and usage.

You wont achieve decent range unless you're lugging around HAM kit OR something simple with a fkn huge antenna and/or a heavy battery...which rules out nearly everything novices will be able to pick up and use with any effectiveness.

Hence the stagnation of the comms debate.
(3 December 2012, 23:47)The Local Ned Wrote: I have no desire to restart this discussion once again or at any other time.

I will simply point out that the 2 nearest repeaters to me - one UHF the other dual UHF/VHF have BOTH got off the grid power setups , admittedly, this results in one being intermittent at times , but the fact remains.

The repeater that is regular and reliable I've heard stations from CUMBRIA working it (Unbelievable - very unlikely - but true nonetheless ) , and I listen in to regular morning group chats from just outside Dunfermline , down to Carluke and around Glasgow etc.

Ham operators can be termed as your original geeks ( sry prepper hams ) , messing around with electronics and coming up with these alternative power sources are right up their street. The only communications net I still expect to see up and running after TSHTF ( but maybe not 100% ) is the radio amateurs with their repeaters.

Food for thought.

Easy to use PMR via UV-5R type handsets will do for most of my needs.
No complications , no huge expectations , very little technogeekery involved apart from the initial setup - which some of our members have already prepared the way (for others to use) via their computers and a data cable.

In most radio setups >Range means greater power requirements and usage.

You wont achieve decent range unless you're lugging around HAM kit OR something simple with a fkn huge antenna and/or a heavy battery...which rules out nearly everything novices will be able to pick up and use with any effectiveness.

Hence the stagnation of the comms debate.

Incidentally MA - I'll have that clansman 320 if you don't want it mate ;^) , you dont have an older hand crank genny for it do you ? :p
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.

Messages In This Thread
Who to call, where, and when? - by Paul - 31 July 2012, 20:59
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Scythe13 - 11 September 2013, 11:59
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Barneyboy - 1 August 2012, 10:04
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Paul - 1 August 2012, 12:58
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Barneyboy - 1 August 2012, 14:01
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by MikeAlpha3041 - 3 December 2012, 00:04
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by MikeAlpha3041 - 3 December 2012, 10:05
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by I-K-E - 3 December 2012, 10:29
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by MikeAlpha3041 - 3 December 2012, 12:07
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by The Local Ned - 3 December 2012, 23:47
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Highlander - 3 December 2012, 23:55