Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who to call, where, and when?
4 December 2012, 01:14, (This post was last modified: 4 December 2012, 01:19 by MikeAlpha3041.)
RE: Who to call, where, and when?
(3 December 2012, 23:47)The Local Ned Wrote: I have no desire to restart this discussion once again or at any other time.

I will simply point out that the 2 nearest repeaters to me - one UHF the other dual UHF/VHF have BOTH got off the grid power setups , admittedly, this results in one being intermittent at times , but the fact remains.

The repeater that is regular and reliable I've heard stations from CUMBRIA working it (Unbelievable - very unlikely - but true nonetheless ) , and I listen in to regular morning group chats from just outside Dunfermline , down to Carluke and around Glasgow etc.

Ham operators can be termed as your original geeks ( sry prepper hams ) , messing around with electronics and coming up with these alternative power sources are right up their street. The only communications net I still expect to see up and running after TSHTF ( but maybe not 100% ) is the radio amateurs with their repeaters.

Food for thought.

Easy to use PMR via UV-5R type handsets will do for most of my needs.
No complications , no huge expectations , very little technogeekery involved apart from the initial setup - which some of our members have already prepared the way (for others to use) via their computers and a data cable.

In most radio setups >Range means greater power requirements and usage.

You wont achieve decent range unless you're lugging around HAM kit OR something simple with a fkn huge antenna and/or a heavy battery...which rules out nearly everything novices will be able to pick up and use with any effectiveness.

Hence the stagnation of the comms debate.

Incidentally MA - I'll have that clansman 320 if you don't want it mate ;^) , you dont have an older hand crank genny for it do you ? :p

Even "off the grid" setup's require maintenance and if the bloke who looks after it dies, so does it eventually....... so don't rely on anything you can't control Wink

You don't need a "fkn huge antenna and/or heavy batteries" - its got a lot to do with take-off angle and propagation and you can make decent DX on an bit of carefully tuned wire on HF (including 11/10 mtr) something like inverted V.

Don't necessarily need POWER, look at some of the distances covered by the QRP boys using a meager 5watts and a bit of wire.....

No you can't have my 320 or my 352 and yes I do have the hand crank clansman genny, how do think I'm gonna charge my hybrids WinkBig Grin but thanks for offering to take them off my hands Big Grin LOL!

PS: By the by, Repeaters aren't exempt from EMP Wink

Messages In This Thread
Who to call, where, and when? - by Paul - 31 July 2012, 20:59
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Scythe13 - 11 September 2013, 11:59
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Barneyboy - 1 August 2012, 10:04
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Paul - 1 August 2012, 12:58
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by Barneyboy - 1 August 2012, 14:01
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by MikeAlpha3041 - 3 December 2012, 00:04
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by MikeAlpha3041 - 3 December 2012, 10:05
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by I-K-E - 3 December 2012, 10:29
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by MikeAlpha3041 - 3 December 2012, 12:07
RE: Who to call, where, and when? - by The Local Ned - 3 December 2012, 23:47