Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dissing the Collie
12 September 2013, 21:18,
RE: Dissing the Collie
There are a few ways of doing this, some better than others.

Some farmers like to tie a new dog to an old dog and work the dog, the new dog is forced to do as the experience dog is doing, ... and so he picks it up in the end

The last time I trained a collie, I used a very narrow country lane with high banks,.. a Collie will naturally go from side to side, so every time he goes left,.. give the left command, and every time he goes right give the right command,.. that's how I started

....but something tells me that you will be unable to do either of those options,..so

So,.. lets revert to the way they teach dogs to pull sleds,.... put the young dog on its lead, and go for a walk,.. every time you turn right, give the right command, every time you..... you get the rest
When you think he is getting that, as you reach the turn, [ but not yet turned ] give your command, if the dog has learnt any of it, he will make the turn that he has been told to do,.... continue like this until you think its been learnt

Then do it on the run,.. you can use a push bike, but he needs to learn it at speed,.. after that you can try him off the lead, and hopefully you will have a dog that at least turns in the direction you want it to, when you want it
A major part of survival is invisibility.

Messages In This Thread
Dissing the Collie - by MaryN - 12 September 2013, 20:34
RE: Dissing the Collie - by Highlander - 12 September 2013, 21:18
RE: Dissing the Collie - by Mortblanc - 13 September 2013, 00:26
RE: Dissing the Collie - by Stevew - 13 September 2013, 08:37
RE: Dissing the Collie - by Steve - 27 September 2013, 09:25
RE: Dissing the Collie - by CharlesHarris - 27 September 2013, 03:46