Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
24 November 2013, 07:25,
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun
For shotgun slugs the rule is the same as for muzzle loading projectiles, you want soft lead.

Wheel weights have a blend of alloys that makes them hard. I use wheel weights for regular rifle and pistol bullets, and I have used them for ML bullets but I prefer softer lead for shotgun slugs/balls. Of course one uses what is necessary in emergencies.

There are devices sold for testing lead hardness but they are not really needed. Press your thumbnail into the lead. If your thumbnail leaves an impression on the lead it is soft enough to make a good slug.

If you can press your fingernail into it and leave a groove it is not going to do any harm to a steel barrel or choke.

Spent .22 bullets from a rifle range is a good source. So are spent pellets from the air rifle trap. Plumbers lead is usually quite soft too. We can buy lead from recycling centers here. I have also scored good lead from hospitals remodeling their X-ray labs and from the lead foil wrappers dentists remove from the x-ray slides for dental work. Through purchase, trade and scrounging I can usually keep a couple of hundred pounds in the shed most of the time.

You are going to need a bunch since you can only get 18 slugs per pound of lead. If course you might not wish to keep several hundred around if you can not keep them loaded. Once you get to casting you might wish to get one of the Lee buckshot molds. You can keep loaded rounds of buckshot on a SGC.

If you have never cast before you need to read up on the process. Temp must be right to get proper fill of the mold and a crisp poured slug. Wrinkles and failure to fill means the lead is too cold. Frosting and smearing of the sprue means the lead is too hot. You will learn soon enough.

Never, ever, ever try to cast bullets on the tailgate of your pickup truck in the rain! In fact, do not allow moisture near the molten lead in any form. A single drop of liquid turns into steam instantly and explosively showering everything around with molten lead. Want to see the scars?

Soft lead is much more forgiving and elastic than folks imagine. I load my muzzle loaders with a greased patch of heavy cotton pillow ticking or denim. The ball is one caliber (.01) smaller than the bore and the fabric is .015" thick. It is a tight fit and the cloth forces the impression of its weave into the lead. Those balls are solid lead spheres and the thin skirts of a shotgun slug can often be squeezed out of shape with finger pressure.

You have gotten me inspired. I am going to fire up the lead pot tomorrow. I need 12ga and 20ga balls since I have fallen behind in my testing of the past two or three modifications I have made on my guns. I will have to do it in the kitchen since it is not supposed to rise above freezing temps tomorrow. This big old MEC press is looking at me from across the room and a heavily modified shotgun is staring from the other corner.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Steve - 26 September 2013, 19:15
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Timelord - 26 September 2013, 21:22
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by I-K-E - 17 November 2013, 14:21
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by BDG - 17 November 2013, 22:47
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 19 November 2013, 06:01
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 20 November 2013, 07:33
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 21 November 2013, 18:13
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 22 November 2013, 05:12
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 22 November 2013, 13:34
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 24 November 2013, 05:19
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Stevew - 24 November 2013, 02:05
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 24 November 2013, 05:55
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Mortblanc - 24 November 2013, 07:25
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 24 November 2013, 08:51
RE: The Single-Barrel, Break-Open Shotgun - by Talon - 24 November 2013, 16:01