Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter is Coming
3 October 2013, 15:58,
RE: Winter is Coming
Really good post mate, I was about to congratulate you on the science lesson and the alike, and then I saw the Lofty Wiseman bit.

To be fair, the guy is awesome, and the post is well received.

I didn't think about how a pack would wear the shoulders of clothing. It's obvious now I think about it, but it wasn't something I'd ever considered before.

The only thing I'd disagree with Lofty on is the "Main Danger" part. Hyperthermia is much more savage a killer than hypothermia, however it's 1000 times less likely in the winter haha.

With the temperature drop, the amino acids and such are still biologically available. However, if your body temperature goes too high, then the enzymes and the rest denature and stop working. This can WILL cause you to die. Granted hypothermia can kill you too, but it's much harder to cool down than it is to warm up. With warming up you have exercise, sexercise, clothing, fire, space blankets, dry clothing, hand warmers, and the alike. It's damn hard work to pick up and carry a block of ice in the summer. Well technically it's even harder to find a block of ice in the UK summer, but you get what I mean.

With winter on it's way, this article is a brilliant reminder mate. Well posted.

Interestingly, it's more important now that in winter. No joke, more people get hypothermia outside in the autumn than in the winter (old people in winter tend to get it while inside). Reason being, in the winter people generally wrap up warm. While in Autumn, they are less well prepared for the cold night temp drops.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Winter is Coming - by BeardyMan - 3 October 2013, 15:04
RE: Winter is Coming - by Scythe13 - 3 October 2013, 15:58