Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raccoons for food
21 December 2013, 09:12,
Raccoons for food
Had a query so here is the answer.

Raccoons are considered wild game and not domestic. They can not be kept in captivity without some serious license and permit fumbling from the Department of Wildlife Resources.

Most that get such permits are rehab shelters for restoring wounded or orphaned animals.

Raccoons are one of those animals that are borderline efficiency in their food conversion. Meaning that it takes more food to get them to eating weight than they provide at butchering. It is therefore better to allow them to forage on their own and take them when one can.

They are also mean little critters and not he cuddly toys Disney productions make them out to be. Not like keeping rabbits or chickens, which can do little damage past irritating you. I have seen them kill hounds, eat housecats for lunch and I know of at least two people that spent several days in hospital after unfortunate encounters with the little fellows. (neat story about that which needs whisky and a campfire for proper appreciation!)

Their dangers and problems surpass their food production potential.

A grown one will go 20-25 pounds and they will tear a trap or a well built cage all to pieces to get out of it. I caught one in a live trap last spring and it walked the trap all the way across the garden like it was walking inside a barrel, then tried to destroy the cage after it stopped against the fence.

It requires a precisely placed 22lr round right between the eyes to kill one with one shot and they soak up body shots and run off to bleed out where you can not retrieve them. I have hit them with killing shots and had them run 100m before expiring many times.

They are nocturnal animals so getting a good clean precise shot is not like popping a target. It is dark, they are moving, and they are tough, that is not a good combination for clean kills.

I often wonder what the world of today would be like if we had evolved from the raccoon side of the genetic tree?

Messages In This Thread
Raccoons for food - by Mortblanc - 21 December 2013, 09:12
RE: Raccoons for food - by Scythe13 - 21 December 2013, 09:51
RE: Raccoons for food - by Mortblanc - 21 December 2013, 18:12
RE: Raccoons for food - by bigpaul - 21 December 2013, 10:38
RE: Raccoons for food - by Tartar Horde - 21 December 2013, 13:32
RE: Raccoons for food - by Scythe13 - 21 December 2013, 18:19
RE: Raccoons for food - by Jonas - 28 December 2013, 18:15
RE: Raccoons for food - by bigpaul - 28 December 2013, 18:24
RE: Raccoons for food - by Mortblanc - 28 December 2013, 21:24
RE: Raccoons for food - by Tartar Horde - 28 December 2013, 23:55
RE: Raccoons for food - by Mortblanc - 29 December 2013, 00:11