Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo in preparation for availability long range CB radio equipm
12 January 2014, 09:40,
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo in preparation for availability long range CB radio equipm
Yes indeed, CB, even SSB capable gear , if chosen correctly will be less complex and therefore more simple to operate than the UV5rs

I am waiting to see the final wording of the revised licensing conditions. I predict that it will remain as is, but with the inclusion of the channel frequency, transmission mode and maximum power stipulations used in other EU member states.

Expectation is that the most simple equipment to operate ( and maybe the only legally compliant equipment) will be radios specifically designed and manufactured to operate ONLY on the EU/UK compliant channels. Radios like the Anytone 5555 will PROBABLY meet the channel frequency, power and mode requirements, but they do a whole lot more as well, and they do so in an even more confusing way than do the UV5rs. By purchasing a radio that only meets the EU/UK specifications, the whole operating process will be simplified, by the removal of a huge number of channel and programming options. Those options would be great for a techie, but would get in the way of those of us who need a simple but effective communications tool.

By the way, UV5rs are still a great communications tool and for the cost are pretty much unbeatable for ultra portable all-in-one hand held devices. An SSB capable CB is far less portable and with only a few exceptions is not a hand held device. It needs power supplies, external antennas ( 10x larger than those used on UV5r) feed lines and set up equipment ( SWR meters)

When time permits, I've promised SD to do a face to face teach-in on how to use and program UV5r's at some future SUK camping event. Only thing is that there are complications in my life that make this difficult to arrange. But for sure we'll get around to it eventually.....or maybe one of you guys who'd already gotten to grips with their UV5r can step up to do this?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
RE: - by Lightspeed - 10 January 2014, 12:20
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo in preparation for availability long range CB radio equipm - by Lightspeed - 12 January 2014, 09:40
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo - by Lightspeed - 15 January 2014, 08:42
RE: Getting rid of Mumbo Jumbo - by Lightspeed - 16 January 2014, 12:02