Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homesteading and teamwork
8 February 2014, 16:42,
Homesteading and teamwork
This is a quick heads up for all those not used to my posts...I drift off subject, then come back on, so bare with me.

Firstly, today saw me increase my water storage by over 1300 litres! I am a happy bunny. However, how that 1300 litres got into the garden was another matter altogether!

Before I go any further, please don't assume I think I'm superman or the Hulk. I'm far from it, although I can shoot lazers out of my eyes (I'm not showing off, just letting you all know haha). But I had to shift an IBC over a 6foot fence, by myself. The wife didn't like the cold, and the neighbour had popped back home for a minute, so stubborn old me just set to doing the whole thing by myself.

After taking apart the frame for the container, then separating the container from the plastic, I lifted the plastic over the fence, and as gently as possible, rested it over onto the ground. Easy.

The metal frame was easy enough to detach. Just one big star key and a small spanner, and you're good to do. But if you don't have those tools, you may end up getting frustrated and just hiking the whole thing over the fence by yourself. Worked for me.

Well, this is where teamwork and homesteading come into play. If that had gone even slightly wrong, and I had many moments where I thought it was about to all go wrong; I would have very easily seen myself knocked out, lay in a pile of dog poop, in the back garden. VERY embarrassing. Potentially deadly...but more embarrassment than fear of death.

Great story hu? Well, no. The story is just setting the scene. Shortly after this hulking feat of super-human-stupidity, I felt a warm patch on my lower back. It was the kind of feeling that is a muscle saying "Any more of that S13 and I'll be busted up...which will see you stuck in bed for a long time, totally useless!" As you can figure out, that's not anyone's plan. However, if it was to happen, especially post-SHTF, there would be some real issues.

The likelihood for my lower back to chunk out on me is, at the moment, greatly increased. I feel like I'm running in a Yellow Zone situation.

All this could have easily been avoided with a little teamwork and not getting angry that your star-key screwdriver thing was the wrong size.

Okay, so team work is important when it comes to lifting heavy equipment. So what?

That's missing the point entirely.

How many books and how many years does it take to get good at growing various crops and the alike? What about learning medical stuff? How long would it take, and how much would you need to sacrifice, to become a GOOD all rounder?

So, let's look at homesteading.

Just the basic construction of a good system will involve various skill sets. Think, PV panels, batteries, wiring, waterproofing, currents, volts, etc. Then think water e.g.storage, purification, use, catchment, distribution systems, pumps, etc. Now let's look at plants, soils, nutrients, harvesting, light levels, times to sow, what to replant, how much to water, when to repot, how to pollinate, etc. Next will be heating, coppice, when, what, where, how often, transporting, etc. The list goes on and on. We've not even mentioned any animals yet, so....shoe a horse? Plough a field? Clear a frog? Did someone mention hydroponics? Aquaponics? And all the systems and nutrients required there?

Okay, so now that you have a heads up about how to go for more of a Homestead situation, how easy would it be for 1 person to BUILD a working system? What about maintain a full system? Let's say there's an issue with the roof collapsing. Now you have to multitask. You have to fix your roof, while also looking after your garden and maintain defences. Wow, this is a hell of a lot of effort for a single person.

So, now, with your homesteading ideas, let's look at the reality of it all. Is it possible for a person to homestead by themselves? Clearly it is, as people do it. But the real question is, how possible is it for a person on an average wage to get reasonable results from a system that can be totally set up and managed by themselves? It'll be damn hard. Harder still will be to maintain silence and being hidden while it's all going wrong around you. At least in a group you'll be able to have someone to get your back if something was to happen.

The truth is, it's much easier to build and maintain a system when you have help from those in the know.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help from those around you. But problems can occur when you try to do everything by yourself. If you have another prepper in the area that can help you out with something, maybe it's some heavy lifting, or how to pour concrete, it's worth asking for some help.

The same is true the other way round. If a fellow prepper asks you for a hand, don't be a stiff, and offer what help you can. At the least you'll build bonds, but you'll also start to know those in the area and start to build a network you can count on.

Homesteading is meant to be a team effort anyway. After all, it is called HOMEsteading. Home is when you're with those you care about.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Homesteading and teamwork - by Scythe13 - 8 February 2014, 16:42
RE: Homesteading and teamwork - by Mortblanc - 8 February 2014, 19:48
RE: Homesteading and teamwork - by Lightspeed - 9 February 2014, 09:08
RE: Homesteading and teamwork - by Scythe13 - 9 February 2014, 10:19
RE: Homesteading and teamwork - by Lightspeed - 9 February 2014, 16:07
RE: Homesteading and teamwork - by Scythe13 - 9 February 2014, 20:32