Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements
10 February 2014, 19:22,
RE: Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements
(10 February 2014, 10:25)Megatron Wrote: Good post s13.

Thinking about what you put IMO doesn't matter how new you are to prepping I still think a knife should always be in the pack. It's a tool that enables you to do so many things.
To me there should always be 4 things as a minimum. A knife, a bashaa (or a sheet of heavy duty plastic at least 8 by 5), means to light a fire and lastly a good length of paracord or other string.

Even on a hair string budget all these things can be bought for under a fiver from a carboot sale.

I'd really agree with that mate, but not for a TOTAL novice. Imagine a total woodland novice, just going out camping now.

I've seen people need first aid trying to whittle a spoon. As for Basha's and paracord, I'd agree too, but not all Basha layouts are obvious, and many people cannot do the correct knots for shelter building. So they would be caught out without a decent shelter option, tying knots that are not suitable for their needs, that might slip when wet, and thus cause any shelter they've made to smash down on them. Uncool.

As for fire...yes, I'd probably agree with that. But I do get to that with the cooking stuff.

For basics, I'd stick to a sound camping set up, then add extra stuff once a solid foundation is established.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements - by Scythe13 - 9 February 2014, 12:56
RE: Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements - by Mortblanc - 9 February 2014, 20:01
RE: Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements - by Megatron - 10 February 2014, 10:25
RE: Beginner's BOB Gear Requirements - by Scythe13 - 10 February 2014, 19:22